Motherboard
ASUS ROG Z390-F
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
GTX 770
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
i recently finished assembling my first "proper" hack (non-prebuilt hardware, aiming for 100% functionality) using dortania's OC guide, and i've found that it seems rather sluggish, without an obvious culprit. i'll get occasional lag and stutter just using finder, without any other programs open. likewise, this novabench result is not impressive: https://novabench.com/view/2466109
i'm not terribly well-versed in the nitty gritty details of these things so i'm not even sure what i should be blaming. i'm hoping someone here can help me out. my intent was to build my daily driver for the next 5-10 years, so suffice to say i'm a bit frustrated.

i am planning on upgrading the GPU at some point, but with prices what they are currently, i figured it would be wise to use this 770 that i had just lying around in the meantime.

EFI and most recent boot log are attached.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    17.7 MB · Views: 56
  • opencore-2021-11-27-201333.txt
    256 KB · Views: 56
Our motherboards are different, so my comparison of your EFI folder to mine is not very useful. I did notice that your ACPI ".aml" files are rather large, i.e. not customized to your DSDT. And there might be a discrepancy among the versions of your OpenCore.efi and OpenRuntime.efi (dated 10/4/21) and your ACPI files (all dated 10/16/21) which is strange to me. All my "stuff" (from OC 0.7.5) is dated (i.e. "created") 10/12/21. Makes me think you have a "hybrid" setup with potential conflicts.

You might want to check your OpenCore released version folder and correct any discrepancies in your EFI folder.

if i recall correctly (from about a month and a half ago) i used the precompiled .amls from the guide because this is a fresh build and i didn't have a windows installation to make my own SSDTs.

are you saying i should compare the files in my EFI with a clean copy of the version of OC i'm using?

another peculiarity that has arisen is that the OS won't report any fan speeds. at first i had the nexus+ fan hub (case is fractal define 7) connected so i tried plugging in the cpu fan directly to the cpu fan header on the board, but it still always says 0 RPM no matter what.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-11-30 at 17.00.14.png
    Screenshot 2021-11-30 at 17.00.14.png
    53.2 KB · Views: 47
are you saying i should compare the files in my EFI with a clean copy of the version of OC i'm using?
Yes, exactly. The various files supplied by Open Core are specific to the version of Open Core. For instance, if I have understood correctly, your ACPI files should always have originated from the particular Open Core package you downloaded, and not from somewhere else. This is also true for the drivers.

I also noted other strange (to me) settings, but I'm not qualified to comment on them, either. Probably due to your different motherboard from mine.

[Edit: Actually we both use Z390 even though different brands and mine is a Z390 I, so maybe not so different... I did notice some other stuff, so I'll mention it here.
1. You don't need the "#" WARNINGS in EFI/OC/config.plist; you can safely delete all of those.
2. a. config.plist/Booter/MmioWhitelist/0 and 1: you can safely delete both of those Dictionaries (but don't touch the MmioWhitelist Array line... it needs to stay).
b. MmioWhitelist/Patch/0: you can delete the "0" Dictionary. Leave the Patch Array line.
3. a. Device Properties/Add/PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0): I agree with your argument 0300913E assuming you have a dedicated graphics card that does not drive a display. I do not recognize any of the following "Data" lines at all; I don't have any of them.
b. I have a second Dictionary that enables audio on my Z390 I mobo. It looks like this:
PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1f,0x3) | Dictionary | 1 key/value pairs, and a "child" that looks like this: layout-id | Data | 01000000
(That device property allows the removal of "alcid=1" from the boot arguments in the NVRAM area of config.plist.)
4. a. Kernel/Add/0 and 1: I don't know whether IntelMaui.kext requires Lilu, but if it does, I would recommend switching lines 0 and 1 so that Lilu is loaded first. All else looks okay.
b. I don't have Kernel/Add/2 (YMMV).
c. I don't have Kernel/Add/3 either, because I have my USB ports identified with USBPorts.kext.
d. I don't have Kernel/Add/7 or 8 (FYI).
5. Kernel/Block/0: Here I will say that if a Dictionary in the config.plist has "children" (like /0 here) that show Enabled | Boolean | "NO" then those "children" can be deleted. If they are not Enabled, they are not used, and there are a lot of them.
6. Kernel/Quirks: Here we diverge quite a bit. I'll list mine where we are different:
AppleXcpmCfgLock - NO (Covered in my Gigabyte BIOS)
DisableIoMapper - NO (per OC Guide)
DisableRTCChecksum - NO (per OC Guide)
PanicNoKextDump - NO (I use Release, not Debug OC version)
PowerTimeoutKernelPanic - NO (same as above)
ThirdPartyDrives - YES (recommended for TRIM on my Samsung 970 NVMe SSDs)
XhciPortLimit - NO (My USB ports are set up per USBPorts.kext)
7. Misc/Boot: I notice you have chosen a few arguments that imply you want the optional "Open Core Beauty Treatment," or GUI. But your OC/Resources folder is empty, which disallows that option. If you want to fix that, you need to go to this website and click on the green "Code" button. Click "Download ZIP" and replace your empty Resources folder with the downloaded Resources folder. Then try changing the following arguments in this section:
Hide Auxiliary - (your choice)
LauncherOption - Full
PickerMode - External
8. Misc/Debug: Differences: I have the first 3 items as "NO" and Debug/Target as "3," not "67." (Your choice.)
9. Misc/Security: We match except for SecureBootModel - I have Disabled as the argument. I have no idea what your "j137" is, sorry.
10. NVRAM/Add/3rd item down:
boot-args - blank for me (don't need any), you have a bunch.
csr-active-config - I have 00000000, you have FF070000 (SIP disabled)
prev-lang:kbd - I have | String | en-US:0
You have | Data | 0 bytes:
11. NVRAM/Delete/3rd item down/2:
I don't have an item 2, you have:
2 | String | csr-active-config
12. UEFI/Drivers: Here you need to add a "sibling" 2 | Dictionary | 4 key/value pairs
like /1 except: | Path | OpenCanopy.efi
and you need to grab the OpenCanopy.efi driver from your Open Core package "Drivers" and add it to your OC/Drivers folder. (That's assuming you do in fact want the "beauteous" Open Core GUI.)
13. UEFI/Output/Resolution: I have "Max," you have "2560x1440" which is probably right for you (don't know).

If this is "Too Long, Didn't Read," let me know and I could just upload my EFI folder for your amusement.]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back