Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello! I'm trying to build my first build mainly for audio production (I use pro-tools LE/ FL Studio/ Reason) but I also do a lot of HD video editing and photoshop editing.

I am really wanting a build that would be as quiet as possible for audio recording purposes.

My current build includes:
-MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD4P
-RAM: G.SKILL ECO Series 4GB (2 x 2GB)
-GRAPHICS: Gigabyte GTX 9800 Silent Cell
-CPU: Intel Core i7-860 2.8 GHz
-HDD: Samsung Spinpoint 1TB
-Cooler: Scythe Mugen 2
-Power: Corsair 650HX
-CD/DVD: Lite-on Cd/Dvd 24x Drive (already had spare drive)

Now I had created this list from research through this blog but my main questions were:
-is the graphics good enough? i know the GTX 260 is also highly recommended but I didn't know if I needed that. Also, are there any other better graphic cards you would recommend?
-is 4GB RAM enough?
-is my power supply good enough?
-I know the sony DVD drive is recommended because of the auto-sleep situation, but is it okay if i use lite-on (since I already had one laying around)?

Thank you for all the input and help! & I'm sorry for all the questions and concerns!
Thanks again!

JCHO

Hi. I used a samsung, which is not a sony or a pioneer and while it worked I had a little trouble with it being recognized in os x. Test today and found the same with windows. Might be a bad drive as it works intermittently. But try your drive and if it doesn't work buy a sony or pioneer as they are tried and true in hachintosh's

srxjcho said:
Hello! I'm trying to build my first build mainly for audio production (I use pro-tools LE/ FL Studio/ Reason) but I also do a lot of HD video editing and photoshop editing.

I am really wanting a build that would be as quiet as possible for audio recording purposes.
JCHO hi,
Check out my blog ( http://lnx2mac.blogspot.com/ ) for an amazingly quiet build, very similar to your selection...

Now I had created this list from research through this blog but my main questions were:
-is the graphics good enough? i know the GTX 260 is also highly recommended but I didn't know if I needed that. Also, are there any other better graphic cards you would recommend?
-is 4GB RAM enough?
-is my power supply good enough?
-I know the sony DVD drive is recommended because of the auto-sleep situation, but is it okay if i use lite-on (since I already had one laying around)?
Regarding graphics cards, true it's possible to get better performing cards, but none will be nearly as quiet as the SilentCell...
I'd take 8GB for video/photoshop.
Your PSU is overkill for this build, a Corsair VX450W / Antec EA-500W should suffice.
If you want your hack to be able to auto-sleep, get a Sony-Optiarc or Pioneer DVD, but other than that, I don't think you'll have issues with the liteon.

Good Luck !
Lnx2Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back