Contribute
Register

XPS 420 No HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-H55M-UD2H
CPU
i5 << need model # >> See Forum Rules !!
Graphics
GTX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi All

Bit of an odd one here have tried a few times to install a vanilla copy of mountain lion on my xps, have used another distro which works but didnt like the extras they had combined into it, so decided to make my own using unibeast, thing is it wont boot to the install screen without user input ive tried -x -v pcirootuid 1,2,3 to no avail using uid=4 i get to the install screen but under disk utility there is no hard drives. Raid is set to on in the bios as ive seen on the forum, could it be the graphics card Nvidia 8800gt? ive also tried the graphicsenabler=yes /no but still a black screen

thanks in advance

Hi All

Bit of an odd one here have tried a few times to install a vanilla copy of mountain lion on my xps, have used another distro which works but didnt like the extras they had combined into it, so decided to make my own using unibeast, thing is it wont boot to the install screen without user input ive tried -x -v pcirootuid 1,2,3 to no avail using uid=4 i get to the install screen but under disk utility there is no hard drives. Raid is set to on in the bios as ive seen on the forum, could it be the graphics card Nvidia 8800gt? ive also tried the graphicsenabler=yes /no but still a black screen

thanks in advance
List specs of the XPS
SATA ports have to be set AHCI, not RAID.
For 8800gt use GraphicsEnabler=Yes (this is case sensitive, so type exactly as shown)

List specs of the XPS
SATA ports have to be set AHCI, not RAID.
For 8800gt use GraphicsEnabler=Yes (this is case sensitive, so type exactly as shown)

Thanks for the reply, I've actually managed to install with the following…. PCIRootUID=4 -f now my problem is post install, i get still waiting for root id if i boot in verbose mode, I've read about the AHCI/RAID but unfortunately i cannot change it (Dell Bios) and have found it only installs if I'm set to raid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back