i7-10700
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi

I've just swapped a Sapphire RX580 for an XFX Radeon RX590 in my existing system: i7 10700K, Sonoma, AsRock Z490-M-ITX, OpenCore 0.9.6, SMBIOS iMac20,1

Everything seems to be working ok but the machine only reports 15MB (!) of RAM for the "Graphics" under About This Mac and if I'm honest, mouse movement and YouTube playback don't feel quite as "smooth" as the should do.I

I'm at a loss where to start investigating this - does anyone have any suggestions please?

Thanks

Was the RX 590 bought new or secondhand?
If secondhand, check the VBios is correct on the RX 590, use Z-GPU in Windows, as it may have a mining Bios.
Check the Device ID for the RX 590 is supported, if not you may need to use a fake device-id.

Was the RX 590 bought new or secondhand?
If secondhand, check the VBios is correct on the RX 590, use Z-GPU in Windows, as it may have a mining Bios.
Check the Device ID for the RX 590 is supported, if not you may need to use a fake device-id.
Thanks for the reply & my apologies for not responding sooner.

I did some more research and it seems that the XFX branded cards are to be avoided...so tbh I've donated that RX590 to my son's PC and moved on. Sadly I've moved on to more GPU issues! :)

I now have a Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 5600 XT (6GB) which I thought might be a fairly safe bet. I've installed it into my existing Sonoma system, the machine boots ok, I can get to the BIOS and OpenCore takes the system to around 2/3 of the way through the Apple progress bar...but then signal disappears from my monitor. I've tried clearing my NVRAM but that didn't make any difference. I have added agdpmod=pikera in to the boot-args of my config.plist

The system itself still appears to be running, it doesn't reboot or freeze afaict but I don't get anything displayed. I've attached a screenshot of what I have in DeviceProperties atm - it's not an area I have much experience of, I think I was spoiled with the RX580 - it seemed to work out of the box.

Thanks,

Attachments

• propertree.png
    propertree.png
    102.8 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Adding the agdpmod=pikera boot argument is the correct config.plist edit for a Navi dGPU.

Which display out connector are you using?
Are you connecting to a matching connector on the display?
Are you using any display adapters or adapter cables?

Thanks for the reply & my apologies for not responding sooner.

I did some more research and it seems that the XFX branded cards are to be avoided...so tbh I've donated that RX590 to my son's PC and moved on. Sadly I've moved on to more GPU issues! :)

I now have a Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 5600 XT (6GB) which I thought might be a fairly safe bet. I've installed it into my existing Sonoma system, the machine boots ok, I can get to the BIOS and OpenCore takes the system to around 2/3 of the way through the Apple progress bar...but then signal disappears from my monitor. I've tried clearing my NVRAM but that didn't make any difference. I have added agdpmod=pikera in to the boot-args of my config.plist

The system itself still appears to be running, it doesn't reboot or freeze afaict but I don't get anything displayed. I've attached a screenshot of what I have in DeviceProperties atm - it's not an area I have much experience of, I think I was spoiled with the RX580 - it seemed to work out of the box.

Thanks,
Just to be sure, you are using WhateverGreen kext too? Without it, the agdpmod=pikera boot flag is useless.

Last edited:
Make sure you use the correct spelling for agdpmod=pikera boot argument, as the spelling of the boot argument above is wrong!

Make sure you use the correct spelling for agdpmod=pikera boot argument, as the spelling of the boot argument above is wrong!
Oops, my bad, corrected!

Back