XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS XXX Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z97X-SLI rev 1.0 Bios F7
CPU
i5 4460
Graphics
Gigabyte Geforce GTX 750Ti (GV-N75TOC-2GI)
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi Guys! I'm building a new rig, Monterey on an MSI h310m pro-m2 plus, i5-9600k with 32 gb ram and I'm looking at the

XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS XXX Edition​

The Tonymac link from the buyers guide (right here on this website) takes me to a "top end" version of the card:

This card looks like it's marketed for Windows garners and I'm wondering if it will definitely work in a Hackintosh? Had anyone tried this card?

Thanks in advance for ant replies !

Just look for any RX580, second hand..

Read this: Dortania Guide

Thanks for the reply! :)

I checked out the link you sent and the Dortania Guide says:

"The only brands you should avoid with the Polaris series would be XFX, PowerColour, HIS and VisionTek as many users have had bootloader and macOS boot issues. Other users have found fixes/workarounds, though nothing consistent. This seems to be caused by having an odd VBIOS that doesn't communicate well with macOS and the only real solution is flashing another VBIOS, which is not ideal for most users."

Based on this I think I will just get a normal RX580 as you suggest Guindillas :thumbup:

So I guess (if any mods are reading this) the link in the buyers guide (UK Amazon link) should be updated ?

Does anyone have any other suggestions for me? :D (I'm trying to keep this install as vanilla as possible) :confused:

Your iGPU is supported. If you want a cheap Polaris dGPU on top of it, almost any RX 460-480 or 560-590 will do, trying to avoid manufacturers which tweak their cards too much toward gamers—as well as second-hand cards which might have been heavily abused by overclocking and/or mining… Keep an eye on Radeon Pro WX 4100, 5100 and higher if you see an opportunity for a fair price: These work out-of-the-box and are less likely to have been abused by gamers (not suitable) or miners (too expensive when new).

For Monterey, you may also consider a new RX 6600.

Your iGPU is supported. If you want a cheap Polaris dGPU on top of it, almost any RX 460-480 or 560-590 will do, trying to avoid manufacturers which tweak their cards too much toward gamers—as well as second-hand cards which might have been heavily abused by overclocking and/or mining… Keep an eye on Radeon Pro WX 4100, 5100 and higher if you see an opportunity for a fair price: These work out-of-the-box and are less likely to have been abused by gamers (not suitable) or miners (too expensive when new).

For Monterey, you may also consider a new RX 6600.
Thank you for the comprehensive reply etorix,

I had the exact same had as the OP’s amazon link in an older build (HP Z820, almost maxed out). Card was working 100% in both Mojave and Catalina. Was using clover, I can provide relevant configuration if needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back