Contribute
Register

X299X Thunderbolt Video Out

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, tried a whole other kind of Modded FW, that didn't work, went back to my original FW before I started flashing, bam, just works.... Display Signal from the BIOS on
Sometimes that old adage is just right, i.e. if it ain't broke don't fix it!

Sure, I agree.
Only issue I’m now having is that with stock FW I can’t get MacOS booted when TB devices is connected for some weird reason.

Let try this Modded File and report back

Please try the attached file...
Hi @CaseySJ

I confirm that this MOD is working, full TB3 Tree Stack seen in IOREG and VIDEO PASSTHROUGH is still working.
Only have to figure out why TB3 devices don't let me boot MacOS.
It's 50/50 let me say, sometimes it doesn't boot and if it boot, it sees the devices but doesn't connect the drivers.
And as we speak now, it connected the drivers

So, it breaks XHC to get connected. And with no device connected it doesn't trigger TB to get active to get devices connected with MacOS boot

@CaseySJ Hi again, so I was investigating the FW of the TB Chip on the X299 Creator of ASRock, only way to get the FW from the Chip was by desoldering the chip, it's using an Macronix MX25L8006E. So with a flashbox I was able to read out this chip, at first I was seeing data in the first regions from 0x00000 till 0x03FFF. I did the readout 7 times and always the same result.
So I changed the needed bytes to get TB Bus working and reflashed the chip, soldered it back to the board and give it a try, but the system got unstable, freesing up.
tried a lot of other FW's from you but same results.

Can you have a little look at the original FW to see what can be causing this ?

Attachments

• X299_CREATOR_NVM45_ORG_7.zip
    221.7 KB · Views: 14
@BerndVP,

It seems that desoldering the chip, flashing, and re-soldering is a highly volatile process, one that has a high failure rate. I tried the same process on a simple Asus ThunderboltEX card and that also failed even though the chip itself was readable by the external programmer after being soldered back. Others have encountered similar problems after resoldering.

My suggestion is to ask a local PC repair shop to take look. They should have considerable experience with component replacement on PCBs.

@CaseySJ what I did, was reading out the original chip and used new ones, so never flashed the original I desoldered, so that was my safe fail.
But when you look at the HEX? Is this a normal behaviour ?

@CaseySJ what I did, was reading out the original chip and used new ones, so never flashed the original I desoldered, so that was my safe fail.
But when you look at the HEX? Is this a normal behaviour ?
The binary file (firmware) looks completely normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back