CPU
i7-8700
Graphics
RX 560
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. Other
Good day,

Today I've received the final piece of the "puzzle" for my HP Probook 470 G0 (i5) 16GB RAM: The Atheros mini-PCIe adapter :)

So, the build/extras:

H0V08EA - 8GB, onboard AMD, 750GB HDD, 1600x900 display. It came with 2x4GB RAM modules ;(
2x H6Y77AA - 8GB RAM modules. I threw my toys out of cot after the suppliers confirmed 1x8GB installed, so they provided me a free 8GB unit on buying a HP 8GB module.
593127-01 (606450-801) - b/g/n WLAN + Bluetooth Atheros

Before I did anything hackish (as I received the unit):
- Created Windows backup/recovery images (2x DVDs)
- Using the HP Support tool, upgraded all the BIOS firmwares etc. inside Windows

Installation was per the sticky Probook guides: Ie. read them, reread, ordered the unit, them read it again, reread them while downloading everything on my other HAckintoshes, reread everything, received the unit, reread it again (while Windows was backing up and updating BIOS etc.).

I've used the Clover installation methods, and the following settings in BIOS:

Under Device Options:
- Unckeck Dynamic VGA switching (turn it on only when gaming in Windows)
Under Boot OPtions:
- UEFI Hybrib WITH CSM. This is the only settings where I was able to successfully install/operate Windows
and MacOSX 10.9.0 from Clover. Yes I know it's not "pure", but I can't find a Windows 7 64bit settings/etc. to be able to otherwise boot nor install without CSM.

Installation of the Atheros module was (except for the scary part with the pigtails that's so flimsy) uneventful and MacOSX 10.9.0 detected and installed everything fine, so no more USB bluetooth and WiFi :clap:

On initial arrival, (knowing the onboard could be Ralink) I used the Edimax nano USB WiFi adapter ( Product ID: 0x003f Vendor ID: 0x138a, I believe it to be the EW-7811Un) using their Wireless network utility Version 2.0.1 dated 2012/10/16. Google about for this had to be installed in a specific way as Mavericks had some issues. The "idea" of this driver/utility, is that they just provide an ethernet adapter to MacOSX, and the utility does the WiFi control and network selections.

And before I forget: For the Atheros card, I've used SP55714 and SP54972 from HP's sites for the Windows drivers.

In regards to installing windows in UEFI.

As long as its on the same HDD as OSX it should install fine from install cd / usb provided full install disk / x64.

Just enable UEFI mode, be sure to check how to format the partition correctly, UEFI windows gets upset if its been formatted in fat32 if I remember correctly, I think I left it a blank partition.

Provided you follow that, windows will install in UEFI mode without doing anything different.

If on separate HDD, stability might well be an issue as I found, so in the end I installed in legacy mode, Ive not looked into it further to see if I can achieve it with windows 8.

I still have bios set to "without CSM" and fast boot as OSX is my main OS, I rarely use windows..

Hello!
I'd like to buy a laptop. It's a HP Probook 470 G0 - I really like it - with the following parameters:
• Intel® Core™ i7-3632QM Prozessor Quad-Core
• 43,9 cm (17") HD+ 16:9 LED Display
• 8 GB RAM, 750 GB HDD
• AMD Radeon HD 8750M (1024 MB), HDMI, USB 3.0, WLAN-n, BT

I know I have to change the WiFi card or I have to buy a USB WiFi adapter. Do you think it would be easy to setup like a Mavericks on this computer?I know that I can only use HD4000 on mac but if I install a Windows 7, can I use the dedicated ATI HD8750M?

Hello!
I'd like to buy a laptop. It's a HP Probook 470 G0 - I really like it - with the following parameters:
• Intel® Core™ i7-3632QM Prozessor Quad-Core
• 43,9 cm (17") HD+ 16:9 LED Display
• 8 GB RAM, 750 GB HDD
• AMD Radeon HD 8750M (1024 MB), HDMI, USB 3.0, WLAN-n, BT

I know I have to change the WiFi card or I have to buy a USB WiFi adapter. Do you think it would be easy to setup like a Mavericks on this computer?I know that I can only use HD4000 on mac but if I install a Windows 7, can I use the dedicated ATI HD8750M?

Follow one of the sticky guides at the top of this forum and it should work. The latest ProBook Installer has direct support for the G0 series.

In regards to installing windows in UEFI. As long as its on the same HDD as OSX it should install fine from install cd / usb provided full install disk / x64. Just enable UEFI mode, be sure to check how to format the partition correctly, UEFI windows gets upset if its been formatted in fat32 if I remember correctly, I think I left it a blank partition. Provided you follow that, windows will install in UEFI mode without doing anything different. If on separate HDD, stability might well be an issue as I found, so in the end I installed in legacy mode, Ive not looked into it further to see if I can achieve it with windows 8. I still have bios set to "without CSM" and fast boot as OSX is my main OS, I rarely use windows..
It's the same partition, but without CSM I have not been able to successfully boot Windows 7 x64, empty partitions that is, past the dancing/pulsating/something windows boot screen. I can't recall the other exact issues, but even after installation, changing from with CSM to without CSM also fails booting via Clover with black screens. As I've not found anything that doesn't work for me, I've settled on UEFI hybrib with CSM to dual boot Windows and MacOSX. I just still need to get a Linux installed on this disk though. Any distro advice?

If your new to linux, Id suggest ubuntu, its probably the most, dare I say "commercial".

That or linux mint which is equally as easy to follow, similar architecture to ubuntu, so most guides / help with ubuntu apply to mint too. (both are based on debian)

If you want to look up different distro's, have a look on distrowatch.com, but personally, Id say ubuntu is probably your safest bet.

If your new to linux, Id suggest ubuntu, its probably the most, dare I say "commercial".

That or linux mint which is equally as easy to follow, similar architecture to ubuntu, so most guides / help with ubuntu apply to mint too. (both are based on debian)

If you want to look up different distro's, have a look on distrowatch.com, but personally, Id say ubuntu is probably your safest bet.

Having been working with and inside Linux for more than 20years, the question is more that lazy old man question: "Which one works the easiest/best with UEFI + GPT and plays nicely with Clover etc.?" ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back