Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
My first oops!

I went ahead and installed Chameleon 2.0 RC4 on my EFI partition, following the instructions on the blog. It boots fine, but I lost Quartz Extreme (maybe a lot more, but it is the most obvious).

I thought it might be because I moved the DSDT.aml into the root of the EFI partition (the flag in the boot.plist was set 'DSDT=hd(0,1)/DSDT.aml'), so I copied it back to the Extra folder (since it was in that folder in the SL partition). Didn't work. Tried setting the flag as 'DSDT=hd(0,1)/Extra/DSDT.aml', but that didn't work either.

Any ideas on how to fix? If not, how do revert back to booting off the Snow Leopard partition? I tried reinstalling 'gigabeast' again and setting partition 2 (snow leopard) as active, but it didn't work.

Re: Installed Bootloader on EFI, lost Quartz Extreme

to get it booting from regular HDD partition again should just be a case of copying the 'boot' file from root of the EFI and the Extra folder back onto your SL partition

the EFI for my P55M-UD4 is structured like this:

in root:
boot file
Extra folder

in Extra folder:
com.apple.boot.plist
DSDT.aml
Extensions.mkext
smbios.plist
Extensions folder
Themes folder

In Extensions folder:
fakesmc.kext
legacy889aHDA.kext

no boot file or extras folder on the snow leopard partition and no explicit path stated for the DSDT.aml as it seems to get picked up just fine having it in the Extra folder

com.apple.boot.plist

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>-v GraphicsEnabler=Yes</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

smbios.plist

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>SMbiosvendor</key>
<string>Apple Inc.</string>
<key>SMbiosversion</key>
<string>IM111.88Z.0034.B00.0910301727</string>
<key>SMbiosdate</key>
<string>11/06/2009</string>
<key>SMboardmanufacturer</key>
<string>Apple Computer, Inc.</string>
<key>SMboardproduct</key>
<string>Mac-F2268DAE</string>
<key>SMfamily</key>
<string>iMac</string>
<key>SMmanufacturer</key>
<string>Apple Inc.</string>
<key>SMproductname</key>
<string>iMac11,1</string>
<key>SMserial</key>
<string>G81013257W87</string>
<key>SMsystemversion</key>
<string>1.0</string>
<key>SMUUID</key>
<string>C0CE2600-93D7-3B41-843A-4D7C8E2C12E2</string>
<key>SMcputype</key>
<string>1793</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Still can't get it to boot from my Snow Leopard partition. Here's what I tried:

1. Deleted everything from my EFI partition.
2. Used Gigabeast to restore the Extra folder and Boot file on my SL drive.
3. Substituted the updated DSDT for the F9 BIOS.

When I reboot I get the following:

boot0: GPT
boot0: testing
boot0: done
boot1: error

I went back and manually reinstalled the boot files from Chameleon 2.0 RC4 to disk0s2 (my SL partition). No change.

Then I reinstalled Chameleon on the EFI partition. Now I'm back where I started. Even tried setting the DSDT flag to 'hd(0,2)/Extra/DSDT.aml' where the file is on SL partition. Maybe this isn't about the DSDT file at all...

I'll wait a little more before I do a reformat and resinstall. Glad I didn't transfer all my stuff over before trying this.

You shouldn't need to specify a location for the DSDT as long as it's in the /extra folder on your EFI partition. That's the default location it will look for the DSDT in RC4, e.g. when you install it on the EFI partition it will look for it in /extra on that particular partition.

I forgot the mention in my last post that I did try not specifying a path to the DSDT. Still not getting Quartz Extreme. I'm sure I'm following the instructions on the blog correctly.

However, I have no problems if I use the iBoot disk as my bootloader. I also noticed that my SL drive has reverted to the standard icon instead of the orange hot-swappable icon.

In any case, I learned my lesson and I'll clone my next installation on to an external drive before I try this again.

Well I gave up trying to but the bootloader on the EFI partition. Reinstalled SL and cloned it to an external USB drive.

It cost me a lot of time for something that is just a cosmetic tweak.... oh well.

However, after thinking about it, I found a work-around of sorts. Since I only wanted to put on the EFI partition to 'pretty it up', I used the "setfile" command installed with the XCode developer tools to set the invisible flag on the 'boot' file (after changing the permission to 'read&write' for admin) and 'Extra' folder.

Code:
setfile -a V /boot
setfile -a V /Extra

Now all I have to do is run the utility that came with Multibeast to 'unhide' them when needed. Should have this in the first place... :banghead:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back