Contribute
Register

wont boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
HP Elitedesk > Need full model name > See Forum Rules!
CPU
i7-10700
Graphics
GTX 760
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
  3. Other
Hi and thanks for any help in advance. i have an intel 3770k, Asus Sabertooth Z77 and Nvidia GTX760 (the msi version) running Catalina with no problem and i havent found anything that doesnt work (for what i use the machine for). finnally i decide to try Big Sur, after reading many success stories from other users on ivy bridge systems. however, unlike others, i am only able to run the installation (copy to usb, boot to install, install, then reboot and bye bye). call me a noob to this i dont mind, i dont really know how to explain what i see; clover boots, i then see the apple logo (or lots of text with lots of errors if verbose is enabled), i then get a brief flash of black or grey screen and then see the apple logo again, but, on the second stage, i get a working mouse and the screen is at its native/correct resolution, then, after 30seconds the machine reboots itself right before id expect to see a login screen or the next part to complete the installation (the progress bar stops at maybe 20% on the second apple logo screen). ive tried many many things, but nothing seems to work, so my question is simply how do i find out what the issue is exactly? at this part of the booting process i dont get any feedback, only the apple logo with the progress bar and a mouse (which works)? with verbose enabled, the machine dumps something too quickly for me to read right after the apple screen disappears (suggesting the rebooting has started); what i do see is that the first line says something about SIP being disabled, but i interpret this as the same as a shutdown/reboot from a regular working system and not as an error as to why the process wouldnt complete. its almost as if the system is missing, i mean like it cant find a file or something like that? and i only think this because the first stage of boot works and i would have thought the first stage would be to initialize hardware and the second stage for the software? again thanks for any help in advance ..

After posting i decided to start again and finnally was able to install big sur. I couldnt tell u why, but i had to format my hdd 3 times. Something not written, big sur will reboot many times, think it was 5 for me, some times during the reboot it appeared to freeze, but its only due to the mis matching hardware for sure. Be patient and let it reboot as it wont tell u anything or give a warning (etc) that its rebooting.

Maybe this can help someone else .. i had clover at version 5100 (?) running catalina. I updated this to 5131 and had to run the ssdtgen in order to boot the updated clover. Prior to updating, i needed only ssdt-ec.aml. it appears to me, if u have clover above 5127(?) booting catalina, it should also boot big sur. At least thats what im to understand and i can verify that i can boot both catalina and big sur without changing clover. I installed big sur to a second hdd and i ran the installer from within catalina. I will post my efi folder tomorrow, maybe it can help someone else..

Thanks to all who've made this possible

The attached EFI folder should work with intel 3770k and Asus Sabertooth Z77. (to use the cpu gfx just set the flag to 'inject intel' video and it should work, at least this is true for me with catalina, i havent checked it in big sur). For sure ive missed many things; usb 3 isnt working (which ive only just noticed as i dont use anything external, except the mouse and keyboard which dont have super speed requirements!). All my hdd's show up, audio works, gfx is ok, etc. i did modify the config.plist before uploading it; changing the smbios to generate new numbers and too default to the last booted volume. maybe it can help someone else running the ancient ivy bridge??

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    3.7 MB · Views: 27
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back