Contribute
Register

Wireless solution for 64-bit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
WirelessN TP-Link TL-WN851N / TL-WN951N

$30.00 cards recognized as AirPort Extreme. Reportedly work native in 32-bit and with AtherosFix.kext also work in 64-bit!

Link for AtherosFix.kext: http://www.mediafire.com/?dgno4vlknnm

I just ordered the TL-WN851N for $18 from Amazon, I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers,

Christian

Update on the TP-Link TL-WN851N which is an Atheros based PCI card.

Good News: plugged her in rebooted and the card was immediately recognized by the OS as a native Wireless-N Airport Card.

Bad News: as soon as I attempted to connect to a network got a kernel panic - and subsequently got a kernel panic every boot attempt after that. Played with Atheros Fix kext, booting 32 and 64 bit and installing different versions of IO80211 Family kext but no dice. The only fix was to boot with only one core enabled (from bios settings) and then the card performed flawlessly. Clearly there is an issue here with Core i5/i7 procs. I'm hoping that the 10.6.3 update will address this as I know that the new Core i7 imacs use Atheros wireless cards. In the mean time if anyone has any bright ideas?

Has anyone tried the TP Link PCI card with 10.6.3 ? Does it still KPs on Core i5/i7 ?

Same situation, still KP!

USB version working...

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1277

I like the hack airport option as well, have my parts and am putting it together now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back