Contribute
Register

Windows XP on current Macbook or 13" MacBook Pro?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
The MacBookAir only ships with drivers for Win7 but as far as I know the current MacBook and 13"MacBook Pro (the C2D Nvidia 320M equipped ones) have XP support and similar hardware

Having never had a chance to see the discs that are supplied with either of these wondering if someone can confirm that they both come with the necessary drivers for ALL the hardware, or whether they just ship with same bootcamp drivers as supplied on the retail SL discs (and you then need to download an Apple update to complete the XP driver installation on these models to add XP support for the Nvidia 320M etc)?

snorkelman said:
The MacBookAir only ships with drivers for Win7 but as far as I know the current MacBook and 13"MacBook Pro (the C2D Nvidia 320M equipped ones) have XP support and similar hardware

Having never had a chance to see the discs that are supplied with either of these wondering if someone can confirm that they both come with the necessary drivers for ALL the hardware, or whether they just ship with same bootcamp drivers as supplied on the retail SL discs (and you then need to download an Apple update to complete the XP driver installation on these models to add XP support for the Nvidia 320M etc)?
If there are specific hardware drivers needed for new hardware, they will be on the system restore disc that ships with them.

cheers for that, looks like I just need to go hunting for someone with a 2010 Macbook or 13" MBP now to have a play with the drivers :)

Hmmm. Learned something about Apple's implementation of Boot Camp on newer Macs.

How 'bout running XP in virtualization? Will VM Fusion, Parallels or VirtualBox run XP on the new Air? Maybe easier than trying to get XP drivers for Boot Camp. Just a thought....

Stork said:
How 'bout running XP in vitalization? Will VM Fusion, Parallels or VirtualBox run XP on the new Air? Maybe easier than trying to get XP drivers for Boot Camp. Just a thought....

Aye, virtualization will run fine, I've had Virtual Box running on it without any probs. Is just we have an app or two that would work much cleaner (and a chunk faster) if the machine was booted into XP directly from a small partition of its own, rather than running in a VM.

I'd prefer using parallel or fusion.
One thing I noticed when I boot camp my macbook, even when I'm running at mac, my system slowed down a bit. :/
That's why I removed my boot camp...
And it seems I don't really need Windows after learning most ropes and ties on Mac OS. :)

Yep if it was general applications Id agree, but this particular stuff is XP only (initializing and testing high security access control servers via proprietary USB devices) :)

:D

yay!!! got the bits I need working under XP going now (graphics sound etc) The MBA 13" install files are sufficiently different not to want to install (PIDs will have changed) but sound and wireless were picked up and I managed to force Nvidias drivers to manually install.

Only thing I'd like to get running a bit better now is the trackpad which is firmly in single click mode but if worst comes to worst I can live with it (any right clicking needed once the machine has the apps on and configured is minimal so I can get away with treating it as a single button mouse when I'm out and about.

snorkelman said:
:D

yay!!! got the bits I need working under XP going now (graphics sound etc) The MBA 13" install files are sufficiently different not to want to install (PIDs will have changed) but sound and wireless were picked up and I managed to force Nvidias drivers to manually install.

Only thing I'd like to get running a bit better now is the trackpad which is firmly in single click mode but if worst comes to worst I can live with it (any right clicking needed once the machine has the apps on and configured is minimal so I can get away with treating it as a single button mouse when I'm out and about.

I had to use a wireless mouse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back