Graphics
ATI Gigabyte 5770 (Batmobile)
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I recently upgraded my motherboard from an ASUS P5KPL/1600 to a GIGABYTE GA-X38-GS4. These are both Socket 775 motherboards. During the process of installation, I also added another 4GB of RAM to the current amount, making a total of 8GB. I changed the SATA settings in the BIOS to AHCI, and OS X (10.8.4) booted without issues. However, when I tried to boot Windows, I received a blue screen partway through booting. When I safe booted, I discovered that the boot process was failing after loading CLASSPNP.SYS. I now believe that I needed to install the SATA drivers for the motherboard, but at the time I tried some fixes I found online. After trying these, I received an "Operating system could not be found" error. After doing some research, and running a chkdsk /f /r (Scan for and fix errors in the disk) I received another error from further along in the boot process, involving Windows being unable to find the BCD (Boot Manager). Also, I can only access Windows form Chimera.

Ao, the upshot of all this:

• I need a way to restore the BCD (I tried bootrec.exe from Command Prompt, but it didn't work.)
  • I then need a way to install the SATA drivers from Command Prompt or elsewhere, without booting into Windows, because it won't work. If I need to, I can use the old motherboard, but I would prefer not to.

My system:
Intel E7500 Core 2 Duo processor
8GB RAM
Gigabyte GA-X38-GS4 motherboard (ASUS P5KPL/1600 if necessary)
Gigabyte/ATI Radeon HD 5770 graphics card

I think that this would have worked, except for a couple of things. I am still stuck on a Windows BCD error - Windows is unable to find/begin use of the BCD, which means I can't even get to the original boot screen, much less boot Windows. However, I do think that this will be useful later on. For the moment, as I said before I need to restore the BCD (Which I corrupted or removed earlier by mistake) before I can boot Windows.

UPDATE: I have fixed the BCD, and now I have a blue screen error after loading CLASSPNP.SYS in Safe Mode. I need either a configuration file with the drivers (I will look for it now) or a way to boot Windows to install drivers, or something. Setting the SATA configuration back to IDE didn't work.

I think that this would have worked, except for a couple of things. I am still stuck on a Windows BCD error - Windows is unable to find/begin use of the BCD, which means I can't even get to the original boot screen, much less boot Windows. However, I do think that this will be useful later on. For the moment, as I said before I need to restore the BCD (Which I corrupted or removed earlier by mistake) before I can boot Windows.

UPDATE: I have fixed the BCD, and now I have a blue screen error after loading CLASSPNP.SYS in Safe Mode. I need either a configuration file with the drivers (I will look for it now) or a way to boot Windows to install drivers, or something. Setting the SATA configuration back to IDE didn't work.
I think your best bet is to just install Win7 from scratch rather than try to repair a broken system.

I did fix the issue, I booted into the Windows install disk and opened Terminal, then rebuilt the BCD according to instructions I found on the web, but I had to build it in the default location, instead of importing it, as the instructions say. I then had to take out the Windows hard drive and plug it into my old motherboard, and enable the Windows SATA drivers (In the registry) for it to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back