Contribute
Register

win7/ubuntu dual botting off hp envy 15, is it possible to install 3rd partition for osx?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Basically what the title says.

I have tried virtual mac but i think there was problem with graphics, (virtualisation is switched on in bios) and i have tried other methods of usb-osx installs which haven't worked, possible for the same reason. I signed up here to see if others have succeeded. Do i have to re-install everything or ideally is there a way i can partition a bit off the linux drive for osx (its grub-booting system) and install? This is all new to me.

hp envy 15 i-71400

700 g hd
8 ram
64 bit

Basically what the title says.

I have tried virtual mac but i think there was problem with graphics, (virtualisation is switched on in bios) and i have tried other methods of usb-osx installs which haven't worked, possible for the same reason. I signed up here to see if others have succeeded. Do i have to re-install everything or ideally is there a way i can partition a bit off the linux drive for osx (its grub-booting system) and install? This is all new to me.

hp envy 15 i-71400

700 g hd
8 ram
64 bit

You can, but you'd have to use the Clover bootloader. Not recommended for novices.

If you want to experiment with OS X without wiping out your existing Windows/Ubuntu installs, remove the HDD from the computer, set it aside, and install a different HDD to experiment with.

Great advice, I'll have play and see where I get. Thanks

So to clarify, I have a dual boot win7/ubuntu, and even with boot clover I would have to reformat the whole drive to have a third partition of osx, or is it possible to partition the ubuntu drive and use boot clover to install mac on the freed space?

So to clarify, I have a dual boot win7/ubuntu, and even with boot clover I would have to reformat the whole drive to have a third partition of osx, or is it possible to partition the ubuntu drive and use boot clover to install mac on the freed space?

Are you dual booting single drive or 2 drives, one for each OS? If single drive, then reformat is your best bet. Make good backups of your data you want to keep.

Are you dual booting single drive or 2 drives, one for each OS? If single drive, then reformat is your best bet. Make good backups of your data you want to keep.

Thanks for that. Its one disk, so i'm expecting a lot of :crazy: inbetween :banghead: and :?:. Thanks again though.

Thanks for that. Its one disk, so i'm expecting a lot of :crazy: inbetween :banghead: and :?:. Thanks again though.

See second half of http://www.tonymacx86.com/multi-booting/96000-guide-dual-booting-mountain-lion-windows-8-a.html for installing OS X 10.8.x/10.9.x and Win7/8 on same drive. Leave end of drive free space for installing Linux distro see part 3 of http://www.tonymacx86.com/snow-leop...multibooting-novice-updated-3-12-see-log.html .

The main thing to remember with the Linux is installing grub to the root of the Linux install - do not let it install to the HDD or partition MBR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back