Contribute
Register

Why the 1TB WD Black SN770 is the very best "Bang for your Buck" today

2TB SN770 for just $110 today only with Promo Code at Newegg

Screen Shot 12.jpg

Prices seem to have dropped again:

The 2TB SN770 is now $110 on Amazon (no coupon needed), and the 1TB is $51. Lowest it's ever been!

amazon.png
amazon.png

Same with the SN850x: the 2TB model is $140 at a bunch of retailers and the 1TB is $78 [link]!

Last edited:
Today only at newegg the 1TB SN770 sells for $45.99 after Promo code: SSCT324
Going for the same price as the 1TB PCIe 3.0 SN570

There's this one for almost the same price.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BBWH1R8H/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
1685841933443.png

There's this one for almost the same price.
I would avoid it for use as a macOS boot drive. The SN770 is faster and has the WD controller that you want. We don't really know how compatible that Phison controller is or it's firmware.

I would avoid it for use as a macOS boot drive. The SN770 is faster and has the WD controller that you want. We don't really know how compatible that Phison controller is or it's firmware.
I'm starting to look at them more for data drives the way the prices have been going down while the storage is going up. Maybe in 6 months, a 4TB NVMe will be close to those prices. Of course, I'll have to get a few PCIe cards with multiple M.2 blanks on them to then have enough sockets for a macOS as well as a Windows data drive on top of the boot drives for each that I already have.

@trs96 I found to your insightful thread about NVMe choices while researching HMB (host memory buffer). Besides this SSD Google Sheet, how could anyone find out that the WD SN770 has HMB?

Which version of macOS first started supporting HMB and how do we know that macOS even supports HMB?

Which connection interface supports HMB? I read elsewhere that USB does not support it.

I chatted with Western Digital and the support person could neiter confirm nor deny that the SN770 has HMB. She only confirmed that the SN550 has HMB. She offered to escalate my questions, though.

Edit:
The SN550 is mentioned as an HMB example in this technology brief by Western Digital (PDF).

It would be interesting to know how much MB of host RAM the SN770 allocates as HMB.

Last edited:
@Alex771
Here's some detailed info on DRAM & HMB from Sabrent: https://sabrent.com/blogs/storage/dram-hmb

If you want to avoid all the worry about HMB SSDs (that borrow from system ram) and whether macOS supports them, just buy the SN850X which uses it's own SSD DRAM instead. It's often on sale for close to the price of an SN770.

You can use it in an external NVMe adapter too. For Sata SSDs I use the Crucial MX500 which also has the onboard DRAM cache. Simply connect one up to a sata to USB 3 adapter like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HJZJI84/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

When this SN770 Deal of the Day was posted nearly a year ago, the price difference between the SN770 and SN850X was much larger. Not so anymore. That being said you can still find great deals on the SN770 1TB. Newegg has a promo code that reduces it to $47.99 right now.

Last edited:
Back