CPU
i9-10900K
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello folks,am currently running pentium dual core e2180, ave gone through loads of pages looking at the specs of the core 2 duo processers, but i still cant make up my mind which one to get :banghead: !
I dont see the point of upgrading my mobo, so i thought i might get a new processor.
Any ideas on which one would be best? Mobo socket is 775.
Cheers. :thumbup:

You may be limited by what your MB / BIOS can support, and FSB, so definitely check the specs and release notes for BIOS releases. Plus any other considerations, like power supply loading & cooling (if going Quad) and "balance" of CPU vs memory vs graphics.

I guess only you can decide what is best for your usage pattern, but the choices will be:

vv CHEAPER $$
- Neither of above...keep as-is and get new iSeries kit a bit later !!
- Fast Pentium (eg E6700 3,2GHz)
- Fast-ish C2D (eg E7500 2,93GHz + or overclock)
- Quad Core (eg Q8300) if you do much stuff that benefits from multiple cores, else faster dual core better.
^^ MORE $$

My mobo does support Core 2 duo and quad and has fsb of 1333 with support for 1600 by overclock.
I basically use it for internet music, video encoding, photos is all.
Am just thinking that the cpu i have cant cope with mac os x, sometimes freezing etc.

Do you run with an edited DSDT?
Freezing can be due to IRQ problems, which is one of the "standard edits" people do DSDT. (I guess it depends on what sort of freeze you mean...processor overload and spinning beach-ball vs "lockups"). OSX runs really smooth on even Atom CPUs (am thinking here of the 330 dual-core), so unless we're talking about "overload" during video rendering/encoding etc, then it may be not the CPU but other stuff like DSDT.

Am currently waiting on an edited dsdt, as i tried previously with horrible results.
Handbrake runs to problem, i get thee odd spinning disc but after a few sec it disappears and function returns.
It happens on different occasions, could be surfing the web then go to open mail, and it would freeze as mentioned above, acouple of the ilife apps don't work (hopefully dsdt will sort it out, otherwise waste of money) it has never locked up on me.
I used dsdt patcher gui, but that just made a mess of things, couldn't boot into windows 7 (on separate drive) after i used it, i noticed that on my mobo (when clearing cmos) it says dual bios, now my experience with comps would be novice, i mean i can build them, install os etc, basic stuff but this whole dsdt thing has me heart broke :lol: i went and bought to 40gig sat drives for my os,s so i wouldn't have any trouble now i cant even install win 7 now because i cant get the ahci drivers from my disc! Don't have bootable disc so i can get to dos..... :banged: may just leave it for awhile then come back with a fresh head. o_O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back