Contribute
Register

Whether (and how safely) to upgrade to 10.8.4...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi there -

I have a hackintosh that seems to be working just fine and dandy on 10.8.3 (I have a Gigabyte UD5H motherboard and a GeForce GTX 660 video card.) I keep getting a message saying that there's an update available for 10.8.4 (among other things). Should I bother updating to that (what are the benefits)? And if so, can someone point me to a step-by-step guide for how to do that safely and with a backup? It's been a while since I built my hackintosh and I've already forgotten the basics of unibeast, multibeast, etc. And I don't know if I can make a complete clone of my hard disk (using SuperDuper) and just restore that if things fail or if there's something different about restoring a hacktintosh than a regular mac, etc, etc.

Thanks!

Hi there -

I have a hackintosh that seems to be working just fine and dandy on 10.8.3 (I have a Gigabyte UD5H motherboard and a GeForce GTX 660 video card.) I keep getting a message saying that there's an update available for 10.8.4 (among other things). Should I bother updating to that (what are the benefits)? And if so, can someone point me to a step-by-step guide for how to do that safely and with a backup? It's been a while since I built my hackintosh and I've already forgotten the basics of unibeast, multibeast, etc. And I don't know if I can make a complete clone of my hard disk (using SuperDuper) and just restore that if things fail or if there's something different about restoring a hacktintosh than a regular mac, etc, etc.

Thanks!

http://www.tonymacx86.com/354-os-x-10-8-4-update.html

The safest thing is to do a complete backup of your working system - you can boot into this by using your UniBeast flash drive. Another option is to do a fresh install on another SSD and update using the combo updater, when everything working well use you time machine backup to bring all your apps etc back into the working system. Then clone over to the other drive a fresh full backup.

Adrian B

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back