Contribute
Register

Where are they going?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I sometimes wonder where I am going to put mine. So far I hone done one from scratch using a PC case, the second was a Sawtooth G4 into a hack which was probably my favorite one so far. The third was a Lenovo T420 laptop and my last build was a HP XW6400 tower.

I'd have to agree it becomes an addiction as well as an appreciation of the challenge. By far the toughest from a modding perspective was the Sawtooth and the toughest from a software perspective was the T420. The easiest by far though was the HP XW6400 once there was a GPU that allowed install of OS X. As of late as I acquire older PCs and Macs I usually find homes for them as hacks or straight PCs (most of my family uses Windows :( )

Most of all, have fun with the hobby and know when too many is too many. All of mine have a use or "projected use". The one which is getting the most use so far has been the Lenovo T420 as my wife's daily use machine because I was able to utilize a Lenovo dock which works great along with an HP display.

It's an addiction.

It's also a great way to express your ability to modify things, to implement new ideas and hardware into old styles. I love doing this, I have projects galore and half finished ones along with finished ones. I find it hard to be content with just one thing, constantly going about and trying to think of new and cooler ways to build a computer. Whether it would be a mod or from scratch I think that it is a great way to use your head in a creative way with technology.

I have all my mods still, here and there except the original G5. I find that, yes this costs a little more hobby wise, that this hobby is more fulfilling than most others. To actually see what you can and cannot do with certain cases. My hope is that I would have this spare room showcasing all of my mods with them all working, plus with the variety of hardware I help test bootloaders and Multibeast before releases as to make sure that all works when released to the public. So everytime I think about getting rid of something I think of that lol.

Also it is fun collaborating when I can about projects and what other ideas people have that I may be missing while modding.

It's an addiction.

It's also a great way to express your ability to modify things, to implement new ideas and hardware into old styles. I love doing this, I have projects galore and half finished ones along with finished ones. I find it hard to be content with just one thing, constantly going about and trying to think of new and cooler ways to build a computer. Whether it would be a mod or from scratch I think that it is a great way to use your head in a creative way with technology.

I have all my mods still, here and there except the original G5. I find that, yes this costs a little more hobby wise, that this hobby is more fulfilling than most others. To actually see what you can and cannot do with certain cases. My hope is that I would have this spare room showcasing all of my mods with them all working, plus with the variety of hardware I help test bootloaders and Multibeast before releases as to make sure that all works when released to the public. So everytime I think about getting rid of something I think of that lol.

Also it is fun collaborating when I can about projects and what other ideas people have that I may be missing while modding.

exactly...:thumbup:

Just three words: challenge, fun , addiction... :ugeek:

A "Hackintoshed" classic Mac is like a "Boydster" (Hotrod) - classic design with modern innards.

MacTester

I like the Hotrod-comparison, it´s why i wanted my hack to be in a G4 Powermac case (really would have liked a G3, but didn´t find a good one at the time...). And yes, it seems to be addictive, i´m a little short on funds right now, but i really want to tackle my eMac project and already make plans on how it could be done best.
By the way, Minihack, if you´re reading this, do You think the plastic bezel of the big E could be laser-cut? I thought that way i could get a real smooth cut...
After that, my G3 iMac, maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back