Contribute
Register

What's the right CPU cooler for the job?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-H55N-USB3
CPU
INTEL I5 760 2.80G R
Graphics
GIGABYTE GV-R577UD-1GD R
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I'm trying to find the right cooler to put on a GIGABYTE GA-H55N-USB3.

I was going to put a Scythe Big Shuriken on it, but after looking around I'm not sure if I'll be able to fit my RAM or GFX card around it.

I was going to get G.SKILL ripjaws, and a 5770. But I'm guessing the ripjaws are not going to jive with the 120mm fan.

Does anyone have experience to the contrary?
Or, do you have a suggestion for a smaller fan?

It'll all be going into a SilverStone SG05B, which says it has 82mm of vertical clearance for a CPU cooler.

Thanks

Hi archbishop,

See this newegg review: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811163171
In the review there, the buyer used this cooler along with the Silverstone SG05.

Scythe SCSK-1100 HSF
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835185097
35-185-097-TS

I am very curious about this also as I am piecing together a mini-ITX build too!
Have been thinking mATX for a long time, but I think ITX is the way to go now.

This is pasted from what that newegg reviewer used for their build:

Gigabyte GA-H55N-USB3 LGA 1156 Mini-ITX Mobo
Intel I7-750 (I think they meant i5)
Scythe SCSK-1100 HSF
2x2GB Corsair DDR3 2000MHz
ZOTAC GTX460
OCZ Agility SSD - OS drive
WD 1TB HDD - games/data

i3, i5, or i7 chip?

A lot of people use aftermarket coolers for overclocking, but if you aren't going to mess with the chip, then the packaged intel cooler works great and it's actually really quiet. Just something to thing about.

I do some renderings from time to time and let me tell you that the stock intel cooler sucks big time (45º idle and 90º load). I finally bought a Power Cooler Hyper 212+ and the temperatures dropped significantly (35º idle and 65º load)
At least that's the case for my i7 860, perhaps the stock coolers for the i5 and i3 are better or maybe the i7 is just too hot. BTW those are the CPU temperatures, the heatsink is always 15º lower.

Just want to share, on a mATX board Scythe cooler (using the same one right now) will not allow a "taller than standard size" ram to be installed on the nearest memory slot. So if you want to populate all four slots with ram, make sure all rams are standard size. Not sure about the mini itx though.

The Scythe cooler is also very difficulty to install and uninstall, without taking the board out it's impossible. Pretty bad design actually. I do not like it but there aren't many choices for low profile cooler.

forrestsun said:
Just want to share, on a mATX board Scythe cooler (using the same one right now)
Which Scythe cooler ?

will not allow a "taller than standard size" ram to be installed on the nearest memory slot. So if you want to populate all four slots with ram, make sure all rams are standard size. Not sure about the mini itx though.
I'm using the Mugen-2 on my P55M-UD4 with G.Skill Eco (low-profile), but had RipJaws too.
It's possible to install it ! Just have to slide the fan upwards a bit.
Not ideal, but not a biggie either.

I also have a BigShuriken on another build (GA-H55M-S2H), with no issues...
You just have to pick the right direction of the cooler for it to not interfere with your RAM...

The Scythe cooler is also very difficulty to install and uninstall, without taking the board out it's impossible.
I guess you are talking about the Mugen-2, as the BigShuriken uses the pushpins...

Pretty bad design actually. I do not like it but there aren't many choices for low profile cooler.
IMO, both are amazing designs in terms of cooling performance, and while the Mugen-2 requires the backplate to install, it provides added strength to the mobo to allow holding the heavy cooler.
For me that's a huge (daily) benefit, even if that means working a bit harder to install/uninstall it (twice a year ?)...

On my H55N-USB3 with a Core i7-875K in the SG-07 case, I use a Thermalright AXP-140. It clears my GSkill RipJaw memory and doesn't interfere with the PCIE slot (HD 5870/GTX470). Regarding the fan, I use a Thermalright 140mm fan, however, I'm going to replace it with a slim Scythe 120mm fan. The installation requires removing the motherboard to mount the backing bracket which produces excellent mechanical and thermal performance. I tried the BigShuriken on my P55M-UD4 with a Core i7-870 and found it was not up to the task (Handbrake took all processors to 99C).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back