Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Radeon VII
Hello,

I ran into a really weird problem with my Clover install today. My system stopped booting on Clover even if the EFI partition was intact and correct UEFI boot drive selected. It went directly to Windows instead.

I have upgraded my motherboard (asus z170 pro gaming) and CPU (i7 6700k) a few days ago. System 100% working, dual booting with Win10 and OS X 10.12.4 on UEFI.

I spent some time yesterday working on my CPU OC. I fine tuned core voltage and ratio in the BIOS and did some benchmarking and stress testing in Windows.

Before that I also used an ASUS tool to auto-overclock but wasn't happy with the results. This might have messed up with my BIOS but I checked and I think that all important things for my hackintosh to work were set.

I am telling you this because this is the only thing I did yesterday night before running into issues this morning.

So today, my computer would boot directly to Windows. I checked my boot settings, and the UEFI partition was selected, nothing had changed in the bios (secure boot on "other OS", fast boot disabled, etc.)

I mounted the EFI partition on Windows, everything looked ok with Clover.

I tried a complete BIOS reset with no positive result.

I had another EFI partition on another ssd with a Clover install I never used. So I booted on that UEFI and Clover would boot (but since it wasn't configured at all, it wouldn't load OS X).

To solve the issue I mounted both EFI partitions, copied the content from the previous EFI to the new EFI. When booting on this drive, everything is back to normal.

That was an easy fix because I had a 2nd Clover partition ready. But I am wondering what could have caused this issue? Why would the computer boot directly on Windows instead of loading Clover first?

I'm worried it might happen again so I am trying to understand :)

Thanks a lot!

Ok, I think I found the issue. My Asus bios did reset to "Windows boot manager" in the boot order. This even seems to override the choice I make at boot pressing F8.
This happened again today. Looks like something (Win10?) is automatically changing the boot order, even if I disabled the Secure boot in BIOS.
Any idea to prevent that in the future?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back