i5-10500
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
These drives boot macOS Monterey fast and TRIM is fully supported. Many are switching to these drives recently.
Supply appears to be ok now and the price is very competitive with other brands of similar NVMe Gen 3 drives.

Size, capacity goes up to 4TB but get really expensive for the larger drives. 4TB costs $880. Not for mass storage. Mechanical hard drives are still the best value there.

81PXk+QyqFL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

These drives boot macOS Monterey fast and TRIM is fully supported. Many are switching to these drives recently.
Supply appears to be ok now and the price is very competitive with other brands of similar NVMe Gen 3 drives.

Size, capacity goes up to 4TB but get really expensive for the larger drives. 4TB costs $880. Not for mass storage. Mechanical hard drives are still the best value there.

81PXk+QyqFL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

do peeps still boot with linux and do that 4K partition on these bad boys?

IDK what you're asking.
it is a 4k sector partition you can create in Linux apparently it is better to use..?

it is a 4k sector partition you can create in Linux apparently it is better to use..?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ not using Linux currently.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ not using Linux currently.
lols, nope, you just create a linux usb installer to boot from and perform the special format

i remember Rehabman tested it and works good

and this is what i found a long time back:

In Terminal application type sudo apt -y install smartmontools and press Enter.
In Terminal application type sudo apt -y install nvme-cli and press Enter.
If previous command fail use this URL https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+archive/primary/+files/nvme-cli-dbgsym_1.7-1_amd64.ddeb to install nvme-cli on Ubuntu.
Verify your NVMe is recognized and manage 4K blocks by typing sudo smartctl -a /dev/nvme0.
You should have two lines under Supported LBA sizes one with data 512B starting with ID 0 one with data 4K starting with ID 1.
If 4K is absent NVMe do not supports 4k blocks. Reboot computer and follow to macOS install media preparation.
Usually NVMe formatted to 512B. And this 512B will be marked with asterix *.
Format the NVME with 4K blocs with the command sudo nvme format -l 1 /dev/nvme0. This command will erase all information on NVMe drive.
Re-type the smartctl command sudo smartctl -a /dev/nvme0 to verify that the LBA 4K size is properly selected.

I have 500gb and 1TB I am very happy with both the drives, I have been running MacOS on the 500gb one for a few years now with no trouble. The flash memory used in these drives is sandisk WD bought them a few years back because they were light years ahead in the flash memory department.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back