RX 5700XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
  4. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
[EDIT:] I did nothing... But, the problem disappeared just as suddenly as it appeared. I honestly have no clue as to why.

From about three days ago, my perfectly functioning Z490 build has been displaying odd behavior upon wake.

First, it will wake the system. But, I have to hit the keyboard again to wake the monitor.
Brave, Firefox, Hackintool and CCC and possibly other apps will either go dark/blank window or simply freeze with the beachball. These apps once force-quit, will not restart normally, and will sometimes cause the system to freeze. 'some' other apps seem to work normally for a while until the system eventually freezes - requiring a hard boot sequence.

I had not made any changes to the system over the past week, other than;
1) Updating Catalina 10.15.7 with the new device compatibility update and the current Safari through SystemUpdate.
2) An automatic update of Creative Cloud.
3) Updated Brave.
4) Updated CCC to 6.0.5

The system has basically just been left running, sleeping, and doing some minor tasks in an effort to find any problems before making it a production machine. (burn in testing)

To identify the problem, I checked Hackintool's Power tab. I tried changing proximitywake to 0, hibernatemode to 0, 1, and 3, and eventually sleep to 0

My power settings (GUI) are currently enabling only - Prevent computer from sleeping automatically and put hard disk to sleep.

Code:
pmset -g
gives me:

Code:
standby              0
Sleep On Power Button 1
womp                 0
hibernatefile        /var/vm/sleepimage
proximitywake        0
powernap             0
gpuswitch            2
networkoversleep     0
disksleep            10
standbydelayhigh     86400
sleep                0 (sleep prevented by sharingd)
hibernatemode        0
ttyskeepawake        1
displaysleep         30
highstandbythreshold 50
standbydelaylow      86400

Can anyone point me to what they issue might be?
USB is kexted and all the ports I need are working. But, I have no external devices connected at this time.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
This is an update to the situation where wake from sleep causes my Z490 build to behave oddly and eventually freeze up.

I suspect the Brave browser for this issue. I did a lot of reading through bug/fix reports with Chromium-based browsers, and Brave has had this same issue, not once, but twice before. I do not see this problem on any of my Z370 or Z390 builds. Thus, I didn't initially suspect Brave/Chromium of being a problem.

However, not running Brave and going back to Firefox for seven days now, has completely eliminated the issue. Hopefully an update will permanently quash this recurrent bug soon. But, for now, it has been suggested to try disabling 'hardware acceleration' in Brave if you are seeing this problem. This seems to relieve the issue. But, it doesn't completely fix it for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back