Contribute
Register

[SOLVED] - Wake from sleep results in Black Screen + fans at 100% (Gigabyte B85M-D3H + i7-4790K - RX480 8Gb)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte B85M-D3H
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
RX 480
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi,

I went through pretty much everything in terms of patching and correcting things.
PM is working fine, and the system goes to sleep, but when I try to wake it with keyboard or mouse, the system responds and the fans ramp up to 100%, the monitor turns on, but no picture and goes to energy saving status shortly.

the "pmset -g log | grep -i failure" gives the following result:

2020-06-13 01:00:33 +0100 Failure Failure during wake: 0x00000021 : Failure while halting non-boot CPUs
2020-06-15 12:31:15 +0100 Failure Failure during wake: 0x00000021 : Failure while halting non-boot CPUs
2020-06-15 14:50:50 +0100 Failure Failure during wake: 0x00000021 : Failure while halting non-boot CPUs
2020-06-15 16:36:19 +0100 Failure Failure during wake: 0x00000021 : Failure while halting non-boot CPUs

I tried to delete the PM files, but no change
Did the PikerAlpha ssdt generation, but no change.
Have the "PluginType" enabled in ACPI->SSDT part
I have disabled the serial ports (already had from the start)
Primary GPU is the RX480 and the HD4600 is running in headless mode. (system does not boot if the iGPU is selected as primary, even if I have a hdmi cable plugged in to the same monitor as the RX480 connects to via displayport)

I tried to google the error code as well as the "non-boot CPU" issue, but got nowhere.
For a short while hoped that it will be a "simple" CPU PM issue. but that seems to work just fine... (iGPU is always at 1.25Ghz, but apparently that is normal behaviour in an iMac 15,1)

PR file attached.
System is 10.15.5 Catalina
Bootloader: Clover v5119

UPDATE: converting/upgrading to Opencore by following the guide resolved the Sleep issue with the hack and now everything is working as it should

Thank you in advance

Attachments

• debug_5903.zip
    8.5 MB · Views: 88
Last edited:
I haven’t selected the Generate cState and PStates in Clover as the Cpu seems to have all 37 PStates according to IORegExplorer.
In Bios I have only one setting regarding C6 for the IGPU and I have tried both enabling and disabling it... no change in outcome...
Will go through the bios once again, just in case I missed something.
Have I missed anything in the clover config regarding the c/Pstates?

thank you

I haven’t selected the Generate cState and PStates in Clover as the Cpu seems to have all 37 PStates according to IORegExplorer.
In Bios I have only one setting regarding C6 for the IGPU and I have tried both enabling and disabling it... no change in outcome...
Will go through the bios once again, just in case I missed something.
Have I missed anything in the clover config regarding the c/Pstates?

thank you
In clover configurator those options are near the plugin type setting, ACPI section?

In clover configurator those options are near the plugin type setting, ACPI section?
yes, this is my setting in that section:
Screenshot 2020-06-16 at 00.23.35.png

and also took a screenshot of the bios settings
IMG_8635.jpg
IMG_8637.jpg
IMG_8632.jpg

in addition to this, the Pstates look all right:

Attachments

• Pstates.txt
    16.4 KB · Views: 80
  • Screenshot 2020-06-16 at 00.33.31.png
    Screenshot 2020-06-16 at 00.33.31.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 115
They enabling those and Halt enabler as well.
Exact same behaviour after enabling all C states and the Haltenabler in clover ACPI —> SSDT section.
Alao noticed today, that even before I made any of these changes, the system ramped up the fans and rebootedin a few seconds...

in addition to this, the Pstates look all right:

That shows CPU cores.
Look into the bios MIT settings for overclocking check for cStates enabled and Pstates. Maybe disable the C6 inPerepherals and test as well.

Enabled all C state related settings in Bios (all of those were on auto) - no change (The iGPU C6 state has been tested many times before, on and off made no difference..)
Enabled SlpSmiAtWake --> no change
Enabled Legacy Options for Storage and Boot (still booting UEFI, but allowing Legacy) resulted in no change in sleep apart from the pmset error changing to:
2020-06-16 12:36:52 +0100 Failure Failure during wake: MCHC(),IGPU(),HDAU(),HDEF(),RP01(),RP03(RTL8111),EH01(EH01),SBUS() : Some drivers failed to handle setPowerState panic

I dug further and frequently came across OC... I wanted to avoid the switch, as at first it seems overwhelming, but Lilu and co. only receives support from the programmers if the system uses OC and seems like an evolutionary next step.
Not that I couldn't live without the sleep properly functioning on MacOS, but would be the final missing piece.It's more of a convenience thing, as everything else is stable at the moment...

Do you have any experience with OC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back