Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Acer 314-57
CPU
i7-1065G7
Graphics
Iris940/mx350
English is not my native language, I may make some grammar mistakes, please forgive me.

First, the guess is based on the laptop platform which is loaded with a supported DGPU but doesn't run smoothly by WebDriver.
Such as my laptop Hasee Z7-KP7EC(8750H+GTX1060), or the laptop with GTX1050Ti.
After analyzing the BIOS of many laptops, I found a pattern:Laptops that can driver DGPU, Their VBIOS are all installed on free-standing chips.

Why VBIOS?
If you are familiar with DGPU for desktop platforms,you probably know the concept of VBIOS, they are written on a chip in the graphics card's body for initialization.
But on the laptop platform, It may be different. Some laptop's VBIOS are integrated into BIOS, in this circumstance, We can't extract VBIOS by GPU-Z or NVFLASH, but we can extract it by UEFITOOL or MMTOOL from our BIOS ROM.
At present, no laptop that can successfully drive DGPU has an "integrated" VBIOS, Laptops that can drive DGPU are all "stand-alone" VBIOS .

So, based on that, I made this guess.

I've seen 40-50 different laptops' AMI BIOS, VBIOS for GTX 1050(Ti) are all integrated into BIOS, the same is true for some GTX 1060 VBIOS.
Without exception, the laptops which using "intergrated" VBIOS cannot successfully drive DGPU,and the laptops that can drive DGPU all is "stand-alone" VBIOS.

Based on this, I assumed it was due to the VBIOS.

But I don't know exactly why, but it seems the most plausible explanation at the moment.
And I tried to use CLOVER to load vbios, but it still didn't work. As a rule of thumb, this feature(CLOVER load vbios) is for AMD graphics CARDS, I'm not sure why I failed.

Put this idea forward and I hope you'll join the discussion and maybe find a solution.
Of course, it may be that the content I have been exposed to is too one-sided, resulting in the above views are not rigorous, I hope you can point out.

Here are a few examples:
HASEE Z7-KP7EC(TongFang)
EC.png

As shown above, my laptop's VBIOS is "intergrated", so I can't drive DGPU on hackintosh

HASEE Z7-KP7GT(TongFang)
GT.png

As shown above, this laptop's VBIOS is "stand-alone", and it can drive DGPU on hackintosh

HP OMEN 4
omen.png

As shown above, this laptop's VBIOS for GTX1050(Ti) is "intergrated", for GTX1060 is "stand-alone"
According to my guess, this is why 1060 version can be drived but 1050(Ti) can't

Attachments

• GJ5CN64.png
    GJ5CN64.png
    87 KB · Views: 88
  • N8XXEP6.png
    N8XXEP6.png
    65.2 KB · Views: 98
Not a Desktop - Moved to Laptop Support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back