Contribute
Register

Using two Video cards for win 7 and MacOs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
OK, it's not an eloquent solution but thought I would post how I use a GTX 560 ti for Windows 7 (recent addiction to gaming on the PC) and also using a GTS 250 as its a perfect no brainer and fully supported for Macos 10.6.6.

The plusses are in Windows Nvidia will see both cards and utilize all chips for cuda, physics X etc. The minus is that whilst I love the 560 ti the mac does not.

So the simple solution I use. At boot using a gigabyte P67A-UD7 motherboard I simply hit the delete key for the bios. If I wish to change the video card I then indicate in the bios which PCI slot to use. In Win 7 the GTS 250 is also adequate for everything I do but if I want games I select PCI 1 hit F10 and whilst the system then reboots I swap the dvi cable via an adapter I have on the table. Its actually a cheap little box for connecting two pc's to one monitor. This saves me the trouble of reaching behind the computer to swap the connection.
Basically the setup is as follows.
I have a GTX 560 ti in PCIe x 16 slot 1
I have a GTS 250 in PCIe x 16 slot 2
I have a 2 x DVI in with 1 x DVI out to the monitor.
Both cards have a cable to the switch and thats it.

So I can play crysis maxxed out and enjoy the eye candy but also without issues enjoy the Mac Os at full resolution etc.

Price wise I have found this to be a good solution as these two cards together are lower in price than other high end nvidea cards that some users have working.
The 560 has scored extremely well in reviews for gaming so I should be set for a couple of years and the 250 is a slightly better but rebranded 9800 series which many hackintosh users have used and still use.

its not perfect but it works.

I tried doing this but sadly my P8P67 Pro does not have the option of choosing which PCIE slot to boot off of. It automatically boots off my 6950 :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back