Contribute
Register

Using a PowerMac G5 Case for a Hackintosh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi there,

this is my first post here, nice place. :)

I can get an old 1.8 GHz G5 PowerMac for free, so maybe anybody has an idea which motherboard would fit into this case perfectly?

And could I also use the original power supply of the G5 for a Hackintosh?

Thanks for any hints,
PPC-AMIGA

Basically any ATX or micro ATX board will fit. I think most people would recommend using motherboard tray.
With the apple PSU. Either mod it, to put your ATX PSU inside it. Or sell it.

mATX are easiest as they are small enough you wont need to cut. If you use a ATX board you'll more than likely need to cut a section out of the top divider.

The power supply will need to be modded (I've never seen it done) to work with a hackintosh. You can, however use a regular ATX PSU and mod it to fit inside the G5's PSU case.

Either way, you'll need to mod it. Or you could be lazy and just use the ATX PSU and leave it alone. ;)

Not worthwhile trying to adapt the output of an original G5 power supply to work with the ATX standards. They have different control signals plus they often have quite strange specifications especially on 12v current outputs that just don't make it sensible to try re-splicing all the connections.

If the G5 supply you have is a working 600w version then it'll make enough on eBay to buy you a decent ATX supply. Otherwise you can always gut it and consider whether you want to use it to re-body an ATX supply in the base of your G5 - a lot of mod.s use that as a nice neat option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back