Register

USB rename issue in OpenCore 0.9.2

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z77-DS3H
CPU
i7-3770K
Graphics
HD 4000
The Renaming of USB ports is enabled in OpenCore (0.9.2) but Hackintool shows BOTH names (EHC1&EH01 and EHC2&EH02), which make a trouble to make the SLEEP works...
How to fix this problem?
(i7-3770K on Z77-DS3H HD4000 Big Sur 11.7.7 iMac14.4)
Screenshot 2023-05-23 at 09.58.55.png

The Renaming of USB ports is enabled in OpenCore (0.9.2) but Hackintool shows BOTH names (EHC1&EH01 and EHC2&EH02), which make a trouble to make the SLEEP works...
How to fix this problem?
(i7-3770K on Z77-DS3H HD4000 Big Sur 11.7.7 iMac14.4)
View attachment 567198

Do You really think this will affect the renaming (and avoid duplication)?..

the guide is a good place to start
but the question is not about making the correct USBPorts.kext (I have already done it -> USBMap in attachment), but about fixing some strange duplication of ports

Attachments

• USBMap.kext.zip
    2 KB · Views: 26
but the question is not about making the correct USBPorts.kext (I have already done it -> USBMap in attachment), but about fixing some strange duplication of ports
doesn't look correct....

I disagree it doesn't look wrong, I think it looks a mess!

Screenshot 2023-05-30 at 19.54.29.png View of USBMap.kext/Contents/info.plist in ProperTree, showing the ports and settings.

You have 5 x ports being activated by the USBMap.kext, one under each Class (EH01, EF02, Hub-1a100000, Hub-1d100000 and XHC). I assume you are actually using the iMac14,4 SMBIOS in your Ivy Bridge system?

Your motherboard has the following USB ports:
  1. Up to 4 USB 3.0/2.0 ports (2 ports on the back panel, 2 ports available through the internal USB header)
  2. Up to 8 USB 2.0/1.1 ports (4 ports on the back panel, 4 ports available through the internal USB headers)
This gives you a total of 16 x USB ports as a max on your motherboard.
  • The 8x ports served from the USB3 ports and header would all need to be set with connector type USB3 (3).
  • The 4 x physical USB2 ports would need to be set with connector Type USB2 (0).
  • Any of the 4 x USB2 ports served from the 2 x Internal Headers on the motherboard would need to be set with connector type Internal (255).
You would only need to drop 1 x USB port from the total available to stay within the 15 port USB limit imposed by Apple since El Capitan was released.

Reading and following the USB guide linked above by @Feartech would be a very good idea, if you want to fix this issue.

If you do want to create a new USBPorts.kext then you might want to use the SSDT-EHCx_OFF.aml table attached below.

This table if added to your /EFI/OC/ACPI folder (before you undertake the USB port discovery), along with a companion entry in your config.plist, will disable both the EHC1 and EHC2 controllers. It shunts them to the XHC USB controller. So there is no need to add the EHCx to EH0x rename patches to your config.plist.

I use this SSDT with all my Haswell builds (Q87, Z87, H97 and Z97 systems), as those boards have between 18 and 26 ports available. I found that using it makes things easier when undertaking the USB port discovery phase (in macOS). As all the ports are displayed under one XHC controller in Hackintool's USB tab.

Obviously this would be a bad thing to use if you undertake the port discovery in Windows, as it won't marry up with your new USBMap.kext or UTBMap.kext when you add the revised kext to your OC setup.

Attachments

• SSDT-EHCx_OFF.aml.zip
    852 bytes · Views: 25
Back