Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I originally posted http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-help/91543-cannot-boot-usb-hard-drive-plugged.html

Update
This is my time machine disk if that helps

Everything is working 100, except I am unable to boot with one of my USB drives plugged in. I can boot with one, but not the other or both plugged in. They are both USB 2 and neither is bootable.

I have tried disabling all drives other than my SSD (my boot device) and that did not work, same result. I get past the POST/Setup Option screen and I get a black screen with a single white character. Usually: \ _ or | I can only assume its the ASCII spinner.

If I unplug that drive during the boot process and plug it back in or leave it unplugged for any amount of time and then back in, it will boot fine. It seems as if the BIOS sees the drive during POST it will freeze or is trying to boot from that drive.

Thoughts? Has anyone had this problem with the Gigabyte:
GA-Z77X-UP5-TH?

I am having the same issue and was wondering if you found a solution? It only happens with my portable 2.5" external drive, thumb drives seem to work fine. My motherboard is similar, GA-Z77X-UP4 TH.

I guess it's not really a necessity to fix, it's just very annoying.

My post is here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back