Gigabyte EP45-DS3
CPU
Q9550
Graphics
GT 640
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Hello!

cause of my old Motherboard i am still on Catalina (latest plus latest security fixes)
i am still quite happy with it, even if it‘s getting old. Updating to Big Sur is no option cause of components which wouldn’t work anymore.

To my problem:
I have a asmedia 1142 USB-C PCIe Card which worked really good over the last years out-of-the-box with unpatched USB kexts or additional kexts.
I recently bought a 5bay USB-C Drivecase Vendor Icy-Box which offers five independent slots for sata drives (‎IB-3805-C31)
Problem is, that Catalina only recognises the one at the case bottom, all the other 4 slots above are not.
It must be some Catalina issue, as the case is supposed to work with macOS and it does work normal when i boot a gparted-live-linux. All drives are recognised under Linux.

Has anyone a idea if there is a patch for that or which kext i have a closer look?
dmesg shows NOTHING when i switch on one of the other drives, there are no error messages or whatsoever. MacOS ignores the other four driveslots completely.

Thanks for any hints, Dominique

Last edited:
Hello!

cause of my old Motherboard i am still on Catalina (latest plus latest security fixes)
i am still quite happy with it, even if it‘s getting old. Updating to Big Sur is no option cause of components which wouldn’t work anymore.

To my problem:
I have a asmedia 1142 USB-C PCIe which worked really good over the last years. Everything worked fine.
I recently bought a 5bay USB-C Drivecase Vendor Icy-Box which offers five independent slots for sata drives (‎IB-3805-C31)
Problem is, that Catalina only recognises the one at the case bottom, all the other 4 slots above are not.
It must be some Catalina issue, as the case is supposed to work with macOS and it does work normal when i boot a gparted-live-linux. All drives are recognised under Linux.

Has anyone a idea if there is a patch for that or which kext i have a closer look?
dmesg shows NOTHING when i switch on one of the other drives, there are no error messages or whatsoever. MacOS ignores the other four driveslots completely.

Thanks for any hints, Dominique
have you done this correctly:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...to-usb-port-configuration.286553/post-2029768 ?

yes, the ports are showing up correctly and perform normal.
I guess it‘s a usb-mass-storage (kext) problem?

yes, the ports are showing up correctly and perform normal.
I guess it‘s a usb-mass-storage (kext) problem?
maybe upload your EFI here so someone can take a look

you mean the plist file?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back