Contribute
Register

Upgrading Windows 7 to 8. Suddenly can't choose which hard drive to boot (Can't start OSX)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASRock Extreme3 Gen 3
CPU
Intel i7 3770k
Graphics
nVIDIA GeForce GTX 680
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I had a running dual boot setup of Windows 7 and OS X 10.8. My set up is as follows, hard drive wise:
30GB SSD = Windows 7
1TB drive = 1/2 NTFS, 1/2 OS-X boot drive.
1TB drive = NTFS
250GB = Windows 7 account user folder drive
500GB = Windows 7 program files drive

Booting would work like this: If I didn't touch my BIOS it would boot Windows 7. If I pressed F11 and selected my 1TB drive, it would boot to chameleon and then to OS X without any boot commands.

When Windows 8 came along I formatted the SSD and installed windows 8 on top of it, and did the same multi-drive setup, essentially replace the 7 in the diagram with an 8.

But there's one key difference: After installing windows 8, if I select the 1TB drive, a blue screen pops up and says "Your coputer needs to be repaired" a la Windows 8. Winload is missing or whatever.
So I do the next thing. I unplug my SSD and try booting from the HDD again. Same issue. WTF?

So either Windows 8 put some files on my Hard Drive or it flashed something on my motherboard.
I know my OS X install is under there somewhere, I just need a way to disable that "your computer needs to be repaired" screen.

I had a running dual boot setup of Windows 7 and OS X 10.8. My set up is as follows, hard drive wise:
30GB SSD = Windows 7
1TB drive = 1/2 NTFS, 1/2 OS-X boot drive.
1TB drive = NTFS
250GB = Windows 7 account user folder drive
500GB = Windows 7 program files drive

Booting would work like this: If I didn't touch my BIOS it would boot Windows 7. If I pressed F11 and selected my 1TB drive, it would boot to chameleon and then to OS X without any boot commands.

When Windows 8 came along I formatted the SSD and installed windows 8 on top of it, and did the same multi-drive setup, essentially replace the 7 in the diagram with an 8.

But there's one key difference: After installing windows 8, if I select the 1TB drive, a blue screen pops up and says "Your coputer needs to be repaired" a la Windows 8. Winload is missing or whatever.
So I do the next thing. I unplug my SSD and try booting from the HDD again. Same issue. WTF?

So either Windows 8 put some files on my Hard Drive or it flashed something on my motherboard.
I know my OS X install is under there somewhere, I just need a way to disable that "your computer needs to be repaired" screen.
Are all these drives connected to the Samsung laptop? Not sure of port priority since you don't say how they are connected, but here is what I would do if it was a desktop PC-Mac:

When installing Win8, always disconnect all other drives or it will put its boot files on the drive in the first SATA port the CPU sees - usually SATA0, sometimes SATA_1 depending on the mainboard vendor. Your OS X HDD was obviously connected to a higher priority SATA port than the Win7 drive so Win8 installer put its boot files there, over-writing the MBR of the HDD.

Disconnect all drives except the OS X drive. Boot with rBoot or UniBeast, re-install Chimera. That should take care of OS X, but now you lost the Win8 files.

Disconnect the OS X drive. Connect the Win8 SSD in the first SATA port. Connect your account and users and program files drives to the 2nd and third SATA ports. Re-install Win8. This will make Windows happy - it now comes first. Connect the 1Tb NTFS drive to the next port and the split NTFS/OS X to the last port.

Boot and set the Windows SSD as first in boot order if you want it to be same as before. Or, make the OS X drive first in boot order and select an OS at the Chimera timeout screen. You can, if you want, set the Windows drive as default boot drive in the org.chameleon.boot.plist and it will boot to Win8 if you do nothing, but you can hit a key and boot OS X without using the F11 hotkey to choose a boot drive.

That's probably what I did wrong. Windows decided to be a virus and infected all my other drives. Fantastic. Maybe one day I'll try again, but at the moment it's not worth the hassle. Once I make some backups I'll try again. thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back