Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS Rampage IV Extreme X79
CPU
i7-4930K
Graphics
GTX 770
Hey guys

I did shilohh's build 6 years ago - i7-4930K - Asus Rampage IV Extreme - 32GB RAM - GTX 770 4GB [Success!!]

Its been a real workhorse and pretty solid, although I havent updated OS since the build and am still on Yosemite. I also dual booted it with a windows SSD as well.

I use it for professional colour grading and editing but as time has gone on its got slower naturally, and really needs a clean reinstall to a more recent OSx for upgrading software etc and a fresh start. Especially rendering and in general just realtime playback even at 1080 prores is a struggle at times when colour grading, for editing and other things it runs smoothly.

I'm also not too hot on AMD cards and wondered what a powerful (but affordable - like up to/around $500) option would be for the new main card that might be compatible with my older motherboard and cpu, or if thats even an option at all? Do you think this would help me get the boost I need to update the whole system for video work or am I better off making a newer build and stretching budget to get new MB and CPU?

My initial plan was to keep the GTX 770 4gb as a GUI card and buy a beefy secondary GFX card as the new main one - i noticed that the recent OSx flavours dont support Nvidia much at all anymore, although the 770 wasnt on the incompatible list so not sure if it would carry over fine? If it worked with the newer OSx would it be a bad idea to have that and an AMD card both on the same machine?

(Also I have a mirrored HDD Raid setup installed inside the case and wondered if its advisable to offload the media and restart the RAID from fresh if going to new OS or if it would be fine to leave and plug and play with media on after refresh?)

Appreciate any advice and help you can give, Im a bit out of the loop of all this as its been a while so realise I might be asking some basic questions!

Thankyou
Steve

Hey guys

I did shilohh's build 6 years ago - i7-4930K - Asus Rampage IV Extreme - 32GB RAM - GTX 770 4GB [Success!!]

Its been a real workhorse and pretty solid, although I haven't updated OS since the build and am still on Yosemite. I also dual booted it with a windows SSD as well.

I use it for professional colour grading and editing but as time has gone on its got slower naturally, and really needs a clean reinstall to a more recent OSx for upgrading software etc and a fresh start. Especially rendering and in general just realtime playback even at 1080 prores is a struggle at times when colour grading, for editing and other things it runs smoothly.

I'm also not too hot on AMD cards and wondered what a powerful (but affordable - like up to/around $500) option would be for the new main card that might be compatible with my older motherboard and cpu, or if thats even an option at all? Do you think this would help me get the boost I need to update the whole system for video work or am I better off making a newer build and stretching budget to get new MB and CPU?

My initial plan was to keep the GTX 770 4gb as a GUI card and buy a beefy secondary GFX card as the new main one - i noticed that the recent OSx flavours dont support Nvidia much at all anymore, although the 770 wasnt on the incompatible list so not sure if it would carry over fine? If it worked with the newer OSx would it be a bad idea to have that and an AMD card both on the same machine?

(Also I have a mirrored HDD Raid setup installed inside the case and wondered if its advisable to offload the media and restart the RAID from fresh if going to new OS or if it would be fine to leave and plug and play with media on after refresh?)

Appreciate any advice and help you can give, Im a bit out of the loop of all this as its been a while so realize I might be asking some basic questions!

Thank you
Steve
Current Nvidia cards are not supported on MacOS due to lack of Nvidia drivers. So if you want to replace the graphics card with a decent one you have no choice but to get a supported AMD card like the RX 5700 XT (supported on MacOS Catalina and Big Sur). The newest RX 6000 series from AMD are not yet supported on MacOS.

However, it is not really a good time to invest in a new graphics card now, lack of availability and prices rising everywhere.

Your GTX 770 is still supported up to Big Sur so it should carry over fine.

I would think if you want a performance upgrade it will be better to invest in a new motherboard, CPU and RAM (New motherboards require DDR4 RAM so your old DDR3 RAM won't work.).

Last edited:
Its been a real workhorse and pretty solid, although I havent updated OS since the build and am still on Yosemite. I also dual booted it with a windows SSD as well.

Have you seen the new build guide by Shilohh ? It would work for you except that you can't get a 5700 XT at a normal price these days. That is if you can even find one to purchase. Many are listed with a $1000+ price tag on them. Not worth buying at that inflated price imo.

Keep using the 770 till prices come back down. You could also use a $300 RX570 4GB as a short term measure.

Last edited:
Thankyou both for the quick replies, really helpful!

Good to know that the 770 will carry over to Big Sur, I might try that first on a fresh install and see how it runs then consider MB and RAM upgrade!

Will also check out Shilohh's new build!

Thankyou!

Thankyou both for the quick replies, really helpful!

Good to know that the 770 will carry over to Big Sur, I might try that first on a fresh install and see how it runs then consider MB and RAM upgrade!

Will also check out Shilohh's new build!

Thankyou!
There is a section on Dortania on what nVidia GPUs are still supported.
You can still pick up a Quadro K6000 for about USD$700 which might work better for you than the 770 if you want to upgrade.

Last edited:
Thanks Going Bald!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back