Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte X299 Designare EX
CPU
i9-7900X
Graphics
Vega 64
I've been attempting to update from 10.14.3, which was the current OS version when I first built this Hack, to first 10.14.5 and now 10.14.6, and the first reboot (from the Install partition in Clover Bootloader) always fails.

I just updated Whatevergreen, Lilu and AppleALC before my most recent attempt, but doing so made no difference. I have not updated Clover to the most recent version.

Most of the time when the boot fails, it stalls out at this point in the verbose boot:

Waiting on <dict ID="0"><key>IOProviderClass</key><string ID="1">IOResources</string><key>IOResourceMatch</key><string ID="2">boot-uuid-media</string></dict>

I believe that error means that the volume with the OS cannot be found to boot from, even though the update is on the same SSD which boots just fine when booting my already-installed OS.

I've attached a .zip archive of my EFI folder.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    17 MB · Views: 42
When I can get back to troubleshooting this, I may simply disconnect every other internal storage device (except the NVME, I guess) and see if that forces the issue.

So I did a little housecleaning on my config.plist to fix up my USB situation, updated Whatevergreen and AppleALC again, and turned off the external hard drive I had stupidly kept plugged in during my attempted OS update (which I think fixed the above issue with the boot-uuid-media).

The Hack boots just fine into the already installed OS, but the update still fails.

Two out of three times the boot into the update partition has failed, the final line on the verbose boot has been
Couldn't alloc class "RadeonSensors".

Are there any boot args I can try when booting from the update which might make things go more smoothly?

So I did a little housecleaning on my config.plist to fix up my USB situation, updated Whatevergreen and AppleALC again, and turned off the external hard drive I had stupidly kept plugged in during my attempted OS update (which I think fixed the above issue with the boot-uuid-media).

The Hack boots just fine into the already installed OS, but the update still fails.

Two out of three times the boot into the update partition has failed, the final line on the verbose boot has been
Couldn't alloc class "RadeonSensors".

Are there any boot args I can try when booting from the update which might make things go more smoothly?
  • What Version of CLOVER boot loader you had in your Mojave 10.14.3 and did you update CLOVER?
  • If so What version of CLOVER you have BEFORE launching Mojave 10.14.6?
  • If you have in fact updated CLOVER, did you recheck EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI or drivers/UEFI folder for the contents to make sure all the required EFI files are there.
  • Did you recheck EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other to make sure all the needed kexts are there?
  • Can you upload a photos of the Clover Boot Manager Screen with icons view of bootable devices and also the Options >Boot Args and PCI Devices Screens?

• What Version of CLOVER boot loader you had in your Mojave 10.14.3 and did you update CLOVER?
  • If so What version of CLOVER you have BEFORE launching Mojave 10.14.6?
  • If you have in fact updated CLOVER, did you recheck EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI or drivers/UEFI folder for the contents to make sure all the required EFI files are there.
  • Did you recheck EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other to make sure all the needed kexts are there?
  • Can you upload a photos of the Clover Boot Manager Screen with icons view of bootable devices and also the Options >Boot Args and PCI Devices Screens?
Interesting, I was just coming around to the idea myself that I may simply be running a version of Clover which is too old. I'm currently on 2.4k rev 4805, which was current when I built the hack in Dec. 2018. Is it confirmed that you can't apply MacOS updates beyond 10.14.3 with a Clover as old as the one I'm using?

Interesting, I was just coming around to the idea myself that I may simply be running a version of Clover which is too old. I'm currently on 2.4k rev 4805, which was current when I built the hack in Dec. 2018. Is it confirmed that you can't apply MacOS updates beyond 10.14.3 with a Clover as old as the one I'm using?
  • If you have r4515 or higher that should be OK for Mojave .
  • I personally prefer a more recent version as other software like Lilu , WeG are all getting updated and I don't know how they will work with an older CLOVER version.
  • If you have updated then , at times, the contents of CLOVER might be overwritten to something incompatible with your system. That is the point I was exploring with my queries.
  • In your current situation that may not be relevant as you had not updated CLOVER and it has worked OK before.
  • You should explore the possibility of a corrupted Mojave update file and try to download again.

If you could upload screen shots of CBM screen, PCI Devices screen and the Verbose boot failure screen, that will be helpful to know more about the problem rather than relying on your paraphrased text of what you had seen on Display screen.

Problem solved. Clover update did the trick (though actually using the Installer to do the update failed; I had to cannibalize a friend's working EFI which contained the latest Clover).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back