i5-4690K
Graphics
HD 4600
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
All, I've been running a Hackintosh for probably almost 10 years now, starting with a LifeHacker build back in 2008/9. I built my current Hack almost 2 years ago. It's running El Capitan (Mac OSX 10.11) with whatever version of Clover that was current back in the spring of 2016. On the hardware side I am running a Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H motherboard, Intel i5-4690K CPU, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, integrated video, SanDisk Extreme Pro 480 GB SSD and a 3 TB HGST 7200RPM HD for data storage. I'd like to update it to High Sierra (Mac OSX 10.13). I know I've got to update the System Description (I think it is MacPro 3,1 now) and update Clover. Other than that I'm not sure what else I have to do except for following the appropriate TonyMac guide. I've got a spare 256 GB SSD that I could practice on if that is recommended. Any advice would be appreciated.

All, I've been running a Hackintosh for probably almost 10 years now, starting with a LifeHacker build back in 2008/9. I built my current Hack almost 2 years ago. It's running El Capitan (Mac OSX 10.11) with whatever version of Clover that was current back in the spring of 2016. On the hardware side I am running a Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H motherboard, Intel i5-4690K CPU, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, integrated video, SanDisk Extreme Pro 480 GB SSD and a 3 TB HGST 7200RPM HD for data storage. I'd like to update it to High Sierra (Mac OSX 10.13). I know I've got to update the System Description (I think it is MacPro 3,1 now) and update Clover. Other than that I'm not sure what else I have to do except for following the appropriate TonyMac guide. I've got a spare 256 GB SSD that I could practice on if that is recommended. Any advice would be appreciated.

• I believe you can install macOS High Sierra on the Hardware you have listed.
  • I have a similar GA- system (Build Intel 9 Series GA-Z97X-UD5H | i5 4690 | Radeon Other) where I have managed to install macOS High Sierra and updated to 10.13.3.
  • You can find a number of screen shots of my Build at #3
    • I went for a clean install using a USB installer disk.

Straight Unibeast install from scratch is really quite usable!

Some tips:
iTunes crashes a lot unless you apply these common DSDT patches: #1234
Stick with Model 14,2 (I reached for 15,2 and got sleep-related crashes)
darkwake=10 seems best, but there are still occasional USB device wake-up issues

Basically I should do a full DSDT cleanup to really get to 100% but it's kind of a secondary (almost tertiary) machine for me...

Thanks both of you. I've decided to do a clean install on a new 480GB SSD, leaving my EL Capitan SSD untouched until I know that High Sierra build is stable. I know that I have the choice of formatting the new SSD to the new APFS system or leaving it as HFS+. Now that High Sierra has been out there for 6 months or so, is there a consensus as to which is better, both for ease of updating going forward and reliability of the build? Since I'm starting out with a fresh install on the new SSD I guess I'm leaning to APFS. Thoughts folks?

Thanks both of you. I've decided to do a clean install on a new 480GB SSD, leaving my EL Capitan SSD untouched until I know that High Sierra build is stable. I know that I have the choice of formatting the new SSD to the new APFS system or leaving it as HFS+. Now that High Sierra has been out there for 6 months or so, is there a consensus as to which is better, both for ease of updating going forward and reliability of the build? Since I'm starting out with a fresh install on the new SSD I guess I'm leaning to APFS. Thoughts folks?
  • I favor HFS+J in GPT for its simplicity . Any benefit I see in APFS is marginal at best. I have a few macOS High Sierra in SSD with APFS that I use only to answer questions from the Forum by simulating the issues they may have and find a fix for that.
  • For all other things I use both Spindisk (mostly) and SSD in HFS+J format only.
  • For the first build I suggest HFS+J. Once you succeed and feel confident, then go for an SSD as a second build in the same machine to get practice and for comparison.

A clean install on to the new 480GB SSD went pretty well. Machine seems very stable. The SSD is formatted as APFS and seems fine. Note that since i don't leave the machine on for long periods of time, I have never activated sleep on my Hackintoshes. I may play with it on this one if I have time.

A clean install on to the new 480GB SSD went pretty well. Machine seems very stable. The SSD is formatted as APFS and seems fine. Note that since i don't leave the machine on for long periods of time, I have never activated sleep on my Hackintoshes. I may play with it on this one if I have time.

:clap: Thank you for posting your successful installation of macOS High Sierra on SSD with APFS on your
GA-Z97X-UD3H/i5-4690K

Wow! That is great news. I have been struggling to get my Hackintosh to work fully. I do get 1080 resolution, but no sound, no graphics acceleration, and no booting without manually injecting EFI Strings. There have been some really nice people here trying to help me, but so far, no success. If you have any tips, I would appreciate hearing them.

This really is a great board for a Hackintosh. My MultiBeast selections were:

Quick Start>Clover UEFI Boot Mode
Drivers>Audio>Realtek ALCxxx>ALC1150
Drivers>Disk>3rd PartySATA
Drivers>Disk>Intel Generic AHCI SATA
Drivers>Misc>FakeSMC
Drivers>Misc>FakeSMC Plugins
Drivers>Network>Intel>AppleIntelE1000e v3.3.6
Drivers>USB>7/8/9 Series USB Support
Bootloaders>Clover UEFI Boot Mode
Customize>System Definitions>iMac 14,2

Hope this helps.