Contribute
Register

[UPDATED 2010-03-25] JMicronATA.kext Not Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me quite the same.
Try this: Eject the disc via unmount in OSX, removbe it, then hibernate, then insert new HD.

martinmarsian said:
I have played around with your kexts a while, Mac Man.

I tried for several days now, to get proper hotswapping on the JMicron Ports for SATA/eSATA.
No success so far. The JMicron home page has a new driver for 10.6.x Version 1.1.4.

The problem seems to be that the driver (yours or the new one from JMicron site) unloads itself on swapping in a new disk. For example: I put a NTFS disk into my eSATA docking station and remove it. I can hotswapp it. When I put another disk in, a 10.6.4 bootable disk, it isn't recognized anymore, and sys profiler has no SATA entry for JMicron anymore. The thing is: another 10.6.4 bootable disk is mounted just fine. So the hotswapp/eSATA capability is somehow erranous and I have no explanation for this.

Do you have an explanation for this?
The driver in MultiBeast is 1.1.4 which is the same on on their site. The only difference is their driver for the JMB368 only. In my version I've added device ids for additional controllers.

I've noticed that hot swapping works different on X58 boards than on P55 boards. If you need hot swap to work, you can edit the DSDT and remove the device id injection in the SATA device. The downside is all drives will be shown as External with orange icons.

MacMan said:
martinmarsian said:

I tried for several days now, to get proper hotswapping on the JMicron Ports for SATA/eSATA.
No success so far. The JMicron home page has a new driver for 10.6.x Version 1.1.4.

The problem seems to be that the driver (yours or the new one from JMicron site) unloads itself on swapping in a new disk. For example: I put a NTFS disk into my eSATA docking station and remove it. I can hotswapp it. When I put another disk in, a 10.6.4 bootable disk, it isn't recognized anymore, and sys profiler has no SATA entry for JMicron anymore. The thing is: another 10.6.4 bootable disk is mounted just fine. So the hotswapp/eSATA capability is somehow erranous and I have no explanation for this.

The driver in MultiBeast is 1.1.4 which is the same on on their site. The only difference is their driver for the JMB368 only. In my version I've added device ids for additional controllers.

I've noticed that hot swapping works different on X58 boards than on P55 boards. If you need hot swap to work, you can edit the DSDT and remove the device id injection in the SATA device. The downside is all drives will be shown as External with orange icons.

Where exactly are the lines for the id injection, which shlould be removed?
Thx

longtom said:
MacMan said:
martinmarsian said:

Where exactly are the lines for the id injection, which shlould be removed?
Thx
Remove from device SATA:
Code:
                Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
                {
                    Store (Package (0x02)
                        {
                            "device-id", 
                            Buffer (0x04)
                            {
                                0x81, 0x26, 0x00, 0x00
                            }
                        }, Local0)
                    DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                    Return (Local0)
                }

longtom said:
Thanks!
And what exactly do i have to delete?
sorry...
That code block in the DSDT for Device (SATA).

longtom said:
I don't have this entry in SATA, only in UHCx, EHCx, HDEF
Sorry confused your config with martinmarsian's.

Re: JMicronATA.kext Not Needed for eSATA or GSATA on Gigabyte

MacMan said:
thelostswede said:
Next challenge, do one for the Marvell 6Gbps SATA controllers on the A-series Gigabyte boards :mrgreen: (just kidding)

It shouldn't be too hard.

Hi MacMan,

Did you succeed to get that Marvell chipset work ?

Hi, MacMan

Thanks to your work! (Of course, many others also!)

I read from here http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2030&start=22 that ishige is able to use Marvell SE9128 chip to setup hardware Raid-0

I also checked wiki that "Hardware RAID -- Mac OSX does not support Intel or JMicron hardware RAID at this time."

So, my question is that since I am using GA-GP45-UD3P with JMicron JMB363 Chip, could I setup hardware RAID on it? Is the wiki too old? Or, the post above is lucky to have Marvell SE9128 chip on it to have a successful hardware RAID?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back