Contribute
Register

Update from 10.14.6 Mojave to which OSx? (clover user)

Motherboard
MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
RX 590
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi guys,

I don't have much knowledge about this - A few years I built my first Hackintosh for music production and after a lot of work I managed to have everything running smoothly. I stopped with Mojave 10.14.6 since everything was working fine...literally everything - even airdrop, companion mode, etc. But now I think it's time for an update as some music software updates are no longer compatible with my current OSx.

However, I don't have the knowledge and time to spend around this. Therefore I need your advice... which OSx update would be the easiest and safest for me? (It's been a couple of years since I have worked with any Hackintosh tools - so, feeling like a complete noob, with 0 clue about this)

My build:
MSI Carbon Z270
i7-6700k
32gb RAM 3200MHz DDR4
Samsung SSD 250GB
AMD RX590 Nitro 8GB

Thanks in advance...

EDIT: I have the notification to update to OS Montery 12.7.1 ... could this be the most compatible one? why isn't Ventura or Sonoma not showing up instead?

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I don't have much knowledge about this - A few years I built my first Hackintosh for music production and after a lot of work I managed to have everything running smoothly. I stopped with Mojave 10.14.6 since everything was working fine...literally everything - even airdrop, companion mode, etc. But now I think it's time for an update as some music software updates are no longer compatible with my current OSx.

However, I don't have the knowledge and time to spend around this. Therefore I need your advice... which OSx update would be the easiest and safest for me? (It's been a couple of years since I have worked with any Hackintosh tools - so, feeling like a complete noob, with 0 clue about this)

My build:
MSI Carbon Z270
i7-6700k
32gb RAM 3200MHz DDR4
Samsung SSD 250GB
AMD RX590 Nitro 8GB

Thanks in advance...
you would need to update your kexts and bootloader before you can upgrade

your Skylake CPU is compatible with Monterey, or you can spoof your CPU as a Kabylake and then upgrade to Ventura

you would need to update your kexts and bootloader before you can upgrade

your Skylake CPU is compatible with Monterey, or you can spoof your CPU as a Kabylake and then upgrade to Ventura
Thanks for your quick reply!

I guess I would be happy with Monterey for a while... so I all I need to do is just update clover and download the latest kexts that I'm currently using? No need to change anything in config.plist?

After that I can run the Monterey update directly from System update?

Thanks for your quick reply!

I guess I would be happy with Monterey for a while... so I all I need to do is just update clover and download the latest kexts that I'm currently using? No need to change anything in config.plist?

After that I can run the Monterey update directly from System update?
with later versions of clover, they have had to mash in opencore elements to make later versions of macOS run correctly

best to grab a blank USB stick and transition over to opencore itself, test with the usb stick to make sure it boots ok before transferring it over to your hard drive efi

Back