Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare Z390
CPU
i7-9700k
Graphics
MSI RX 580 Armor
Hello again, MacMan.

I'm sure you're getting tired of hearing of my continued problems getting UniBeast to install Mountain Lion on a USB drive. If you're not immediately familiar with my problems, please see this thread and this thread.

I've done a bunch of reading on other forums about people running into problems downloading (usually large, but even that seems to vary) .dmg files from the App Store. Of course in some cases it actually IS a hardware problem, or an ISP or network hardware issue, in some cases it might be an OS issue.

However, in many cases it seems that there really isn't a problem at all. In thses cases, the .dmg downloads, it fails a checksum but ultimately if they're trying to mount a .dmg where they can disable the checksum verification it seems to work just fine (this seems to work for large OS X Combo updates, OS X installers and for Adobe CS 6 installers). I am reasonably certain that this is the category that I fall into.

I have downloaded the Mountain Lion installer four times from the App Store. Yes, the first three times I was using a machine whose file system had some issues. But the fourth time came after wiping the drive and reinstalling the OS (in fact, I had people at the Apple store do that). After the OS installation everything checks out fine: HD, file system, memory, board, etc... I haven't installed any other applications or made any other changes to the machine after getting it back from Apple (except, of course adding UniBeast). I immediately went to the app store and downloaded the installer. Again (like all of the previous times) it seems to download just fine. The file size checks out just fine. But...ultimately it fails a checksum.

In all of the reading I've done, there is a lot of speculation about what might be causing this. But one interesting theory is that the Mac OS is making a minute change to the .dmg file after the download completes which causes it to fail a checksum verification later. Okay, perhaps that a bunch of BS, but you never know.

In any event, I respectfully submit a request to have a version of UniBeast that allows one to disable checksum verification prior to installing OS X onto a USB drive.

Thank you.

Never.

I do not want to be responsible for a bad download corrupting someones system or causing installation issues.

Closed, won't do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back