Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-H97-D3H
CPU
i5-4690
Graphics
GTX 760
This will be long winded, but I'll try to go over everything I've tried.
I currently have Yosemite installed on my machine. I figured it was time to upgrade to Mojave. I downloaded the installer from the App Store but I'm one of those people who only get the 22 MB file, so I downloaded the rest and joined it all with the terminal commands to get the 6 GB file. I formatted an 8GB USB drive, launched UniBeast and went ahead with creating the drive. Oddly it seems to freeze at the copying files screen. Basically I never saw the progress bar move. I let it alone and check on it a couple hours later and it says it was successfully completed. Great.
So the first time, I hold down F12, get to the boot menu and I have two options for the USB drive, one with UEFI in front. I select that option and I get to the Mojave install screen. I format my newly installed SSD, go ahead with the installation. The progress bar gets to about 1/4 with 2 minutes remaining, then it suddenly reboots. When it starts back up I'm back in Yosemite because it booted off my previous SSD which is still installed.
I try it again and when I get to the boot screen, I only have one option for USB without the UEFI. I select it and it just boots into Yosemite. I've tried disconnecting the Yosemite drive, but when I boot off the USB I just get a DOS screen where it can't find a boot drive. I went into the BIOS and changed boot mode to UEFI only, but with that I don't see any USB selection.
I recreated the boot drive. Same thing, it takes a long time, but in the end says it's successful. When I first create it, I have two drives show up, once called "Install macOS Mojave" and the other EFI. If eject the USB and plugged it back in, I can never get the EFI drive to mount again. Anyways, I've never seen the UEFI: USB option in the boot menu since the first time I've tried. I've recreated the boot drive 4 times since with the same results.
I'm not hugely savvy in all this, but I will be able to try things anyone may suggest. Thanks.

Try this:
  • Shutdown the system if it's running.
  • Disconnect the power cable or flip the on/off switch on the power supply to turn it off.
  • Wait 10 seconds.
  • Plug the power cable back in or flip the on/off switch to on.
  • Start the machine again and press F12. Do you see the UEFI partition on USB disk?
This works on my Gigabyte Z390. Your results may vary...

No dice unfortunately.

I would disconnect the Yosemite drive because it’s adding too many Clovers to keep track of.

Now you must hit F12 to select USB as the disk to boot from. If there’s no EFI partition on it, it won’t be selectable in BIOS, in which case you would have to rebuild it with UniBeast 9.

When the install begins and system reboots, you must press F12 and boot from USB every time until post-installation is done.

I currently have Yosemite installed on my machine. I figured it was time to upgrade to Mojave. I downloaded the installer from the App Store but I'm one of those people who only get the 22 MB file, so I downloaded the rest and joined it all with the terminal commands to get the 6 GB file. I formatted an 8GB USB drive, launched UniBeast and went ahead with creating the drive. Oddly it seems to freeze at the copying files screen. Basically I never saw the progress bar move. I let it alone and check on it a couple hours later and it says it was successfully completed. Great.
So the first time, I hold down F12, get to the boot menu and I have two options for the USB drive, one with UEFI in front. I select that option and I get to the Mojave install screen. I format my newly installed SSD, go ahead with the installation. The progress bar gets to about 1/4 with 2 minutes remaining, then it suddenly reboots. When it starts back up I'm back in Yosemite because it booted off my previous SSD which is still installed.
I try it again and when I get to the boot screen, I only have one option for USB without the UEFI. I select it and it just boots into Yosemite. I've tried disconnecting the Yosemite drive, but when I boot off the USB I just get a DOS screen where it can't find a boot drive. I went into the BIOS and changed boot mode to UEFI only, but with that I don't see any USB selection.
I recreated the boot drive. Same thing, it takes a long time, but in the end says it's successful. When I first create it, I have two drives show up, once called "Install macOS Mojave" and the other EFI. If eject the USB and plugged it back in, I can never get the EFI drive to mount again. Anyways, I've never seen the UEFI: USB option in the boot menu since the first time I've tried. I've recreated the boot drive 4 times since with the same results.
I'm not hugely savvy in all this, but I will be able to try things anyone may suggest. Thanks.
ave two drives show up, once called "Install macOS Mojave" and the other EFI. If eject the USB and plugged it back in, I can never get the EFI drive to mount again. Anyways, I've never seen the UEFI: USB option in the boot menu since the first time I've tried. I've recreated the boot drive 4 times since with the same results.

I recreated the boot drive. Same thing, it takes a long time, but in the end says it's successful. When I first create it, I have two drives show up, once called "Install macOS Mojave" and the other EFI.

This is normal.

Soon after you create a macOS USB Installer either using Unibeast Method (in UEFI or legacy) or using CreateInstalmedia CMDl +Manual Clover install (in UEFI/legacy mode) , the EFI Partition will be 'auto mounted ' for the first and only time in its existence and you can use this rare opportunity to click open the auto mounted EFI to check its FileTree of Clover and subfolders and config.plist and edit if you deem it necessary.
But, once you "EJECT" that EFI or simply reboot the system even with the installer in the USB port and not boot through it and reach your Original Mac or hack Desktop, the EFI Partition will never be seen again. It will be hidden from view and the only way you can view and if needed edit its contents is by 'mounting it using Terminal diskutil command or by using Special Tools like EFI Mounter V3 , Clover Configurator or some others .

Anyways, I've never seen the UEFI: USB option in the boot menu since the first time I've tried.

I can think of 3 reasons for the above

• This time you did not create the USB Installer disk in UEFI method but Legacy mode
  • Your USB Installer Disk lacked important "EFI" files in its /EFI/CLOVER/drives64UEFI folder for the disk to show up in CBM screen
  • You did not make your UEFI Mojave USB Installer as the first boot device in BIOS and made your Yosemite Disk as First boot device to boot.

I created another boot disk using Sierra, with the Sierra Unibeast. Same issue; I have no UEFI USB option to boot from. I unplugged all my drives except for the new drive which is wiped. I definitely created the USB boot drive using UEFI in Unibeast. I also selected the USB key as the first boot device in the BIOS but it did not work. Here's a pic of my files in EFI/CLOVER/drives64UEFI. Am I missing anything?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-01-05 at 1.02.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-01-05 at 1.02.29 PM.png
    23.3 KB · Views: 40
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back