Contribute
Register

Toshiba Tecra X40-E - can't get macOS installed (opencore)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS X470 Pro PRIME
CPU
Ryzen 3 5800X3D
Graphics
RX 6800 XT
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
  2. PowerBook
  3. SE
  4. SE/30
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Well, after a couple days of trying, and getting close, I can't complete the installation of macOS on this Toshiba Tecra X40-E laptop.

I can get to the macOS install screen OK, and sometimes get a drive formatted (apfs and macOS extended journaled), but at other times it hard freezes part way through formatting. The drive itself tests fine, and runs runs Win 10/11 and Chrome Flex OS fine.

I then try installing macOS to the newly formatted drive and it gets most of the way there before freezing at '2 minutes'. I've read on the OpenCore install guide that this can be due to an error writing NVRAM. I've tried 'write flash' and 'overwrite legacy flash ' options without success.

I guess I'm suprised I can get to the graphical installer, with working touchpad, format a drive (albeit with lock ups), start the install, and yet still have it lock up / fail right near the end.

Basic specs:
CPU: Intel i5-8250U (Kaby Lake Refresh)
GPU: integrated UHD 620
8 GB RAM, 256 GB nvme SSD
Using Model: MacBookPro 14,1

OpenCore 0.86 set up essentially as per: https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/config-laptop.plist/kaby-lake.html#starting-point.

I've tried Mojave, Catalina and Ventura, on 2 different USB drives, made using the usual macOS terminal command to make a bootable USB install drive, then installing my EFI on the USB's EFI partition.

Edited EFI is attached (minus serial numbers etc).

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    4 MB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Well, after a couple days of trying, and getting close, I can't complete the installation of macOS on this Toshiba Tecra X40-E laptop.

I can get to the macOS install screen OK, and sometimes get a drive formatted (apfs and macOS extended journaled), but at other times it hard freezes part way through formatting. The drive itself tests fine, and runs runs Win 10/11 and Chrome Flex OS fine.

I then try installing macOS to the newly formatted drive and it gets most of the way there before freezing at '2 minutes'. I've read on the OpenCore install guide that this can be due to an error writing NVRAM. I've tried 'write flash' and 'overwrite legacy flash ' options without success.

I guess I'm suprised I can get to the graphical installer, with working touchpad, format a drive (albeit with lock ups), start the install, and yet still have it lock up / fail right near the end.

Basic specs:
CPU: Intel i5-8250U (Kaby Lake Refresh)
GPU: integrated UHD 620
8 GB RAM, 256 GB nvme SSD
Using Model: MacBookPro 14,1

OpenCore 0.86 set up essentially as per: https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/config-laptop.plist/kaby-lake.html#starting-point.

I've tried Mojave, Catalina and Ventura, on 2 different USB drives, made using the usual macOS terminal command to make a bootable USB install drive, then installing my EFI on the USB's EFI partition.

Edited EFI is attached (minus serial numbers etc).
please read the faq for proper hardware profile setup:

Thanks - mostly done, but still looking for M/B details.

Edit: thanks again - laptop model / motherboard info now in profile, and correctly posted EFI.zip attached. It's clearly been too long since I had to post for help! :)

Last edited:
Thanks - mostly done, but still looking for M/B details.
as it says in the faq, Motherboard would be the make and model of your laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back