Graphics
HD 6870
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I just received a used G5 case from a seller on eBay today, and I was very disappointed to see the side of the case (the non-removable side) had two areas with significant scratches on it. The guy said the case was in "good" cosmetic condition. I was willing to put up with a few nicks here and there, but this is too much. I really hate the idea of going through the hassle of sending this thing back and getting a refund, so I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to remove or even just reduce these scratches?

Attachments

• IMG_0030.jpg
    IMG_0030.jpg
    301.9 KB · Views: 600
  • IMG_0040.jpg
    IMG_0040.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 658
  • IMG_0042.jpg
    IMG_0042.jpg
    261.9 KB · Views: 615
Short answer: you can't remove them without extensive work.

The case is beadblasted and anodised to a certain spec that's very hard to replicate if you haven't got access to Apple's prescribed surface treatments, especially if you're only treating a localised area. If you attempt to sand/polish the surface you'll lose both the texture and anodised coating, making it look like a pile of poo unless you do the whole case in the same fashion.

If the scratches really bother you and you want a uniform look, you can sand/polish/chemically etch the surface, then beadblast/anodise/paint to your liking. Anything less than total refurbishing will look uneven and pants.

I'd say find another case.

That sounds a bit too complicated for a person at my skill level. I was wondering how interchangeable the big part used for that outer side, top handle and legs are between Power Mac G5 (Or even Mac Pro) models. If I were to find another case that is in good shape, how easy would it be to slide that shell off and put it onto my case? A guy not too far from me has a bunch of working G5s that range from good to poor cosmetic condition, so I may be able to strike a deal to swap the outer shell of mine with one of his if the parts are interchangeable between different models of G5s. The rest of the case is absolutely beautiful, and I'd love to avoid going through the ordeal of a return if I can just swap my shell for one of this guy's for $20.

You can remove the whole "C" section but you risk scratching it even more doing this. The case has to be separated a bit in order to slid the inside section out and then you have to watch out for all the standoffs on the inside wall.
If your friend has G5s about and one is in good enough shape see about a swap with im then. As if your not going to re-blast it or anything I think pulling it apart you stand a good chance scratching it more.

There's a local guy with 8 working G5s for sale. I'm thinking of just doing a swap on the whole case for a reasonable fee, I'd let him keep the optical drive and some other stuff I don't need too. My search for a G5 case has just been a very disappointing experience, it took forever to find the right deal, and I ended up getting screwed. The guy who sold me the case I have now on eBay has a 99.3% positive rating, but he didn't bother to take a picture of these huge scratches on a case he said was in "good" cosmetic condition. I really hope this local guy will work out some kind of deal with me for one of his clean cases.

Call it character. :)

If it really bothers you, it would be a good candidate to be painted, which I've seen done pretty nicely also. Otherwise, return it.

I too got a case off ebay that did not show the scratches on it lol, I am now using it as a G5 and will not mod it. I will sell it as is locally as a working G5, I bought it non-working and then took the time to repair it. I have two other G5 cases, one that is empty and in good shape and one that got busted on the stands during shipment that I was unable to fix. I have that all tore down in it's halves and I will get it bead blasted at work and repainted but I am unsure if I will re anodize it or powder coat it. We shale see. But buying used G5 cases can be a pain sometimes and is why I have moved away from modding them. I have the two left that I will mod but I will do other cool mods now that I don't have to worry so much about the paint or legs getting broke or what not with shipping.

The condition of cases is a lottery.

Also, it is always debateable on eBay on what is good condition. If they explicitly state that it is perfect or has no scratches or no cosmetic defects then there is good cause for comeback but just "good" condition could be argued as "good for something that is nearly 10 years old" and may well result in an uphill battle for any refund

These cases too are relatively easily scratched unfortunately. I have seen paint jobs come out quite well on the G5s to make them look as if they were standard but it all adds time and cost.

I guess the reality is that really good cases are getting rare now and people charge a premium for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back