Motherboard
Gigabyte Z87X-OC
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
HD 4600
Mac
  1. iMac
I have 2 external drives that have been assigned to Time Machine for backup. They have been running flawlessly for the past couple of years. Now I'm getting messages that the backups could not be completed. Error code 92. The fails happen on both drives.

I've covered a lot of ground on this already trying to fix it. I erased/reformatted both drives, made sure connections were solid, and still get the errors. I replaced the USB cables today, no change, still getting errors. And the fails seem to happen in the first few seconds of the backup attempt.

Testing, I set up a huge copy to copy my large data disk over to one of the backup drives. It has made it 2/3 of the way already with no errors so it would seem that the drive itself is fairly happy at the moment, though not so much with Time Machine.

I'm running Catalina and many posts I've found that are related to this do come from Catalina users. Does anyone else have some wisdom on what might be going on here? I have the feeling the drives are just fine, the cables are just fine, there's something else going on here? It's always Error 92 which seems to be a GP error that really doesn't point to anything.

Bueller?

Update - backups have been working since yesterday sometime... not sure if this is due to the new cables or what else but for now things seem normal... though the previous fails didn't occur until 2-3 days after "looks good" was happening, and then they failed... so we'll see.

Back