Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Running computer at left under OpenCore 0.7.5. "System Report" shows "Trim Support: Yes" on my Samsung 970 Pro 1 TB NVMe SSDs (both) whether I have "config.plist/Kernel/Quirks/ThirdPartyDrives" set to either "NO" or "YES." What exactly does the argument "ThirdPartyDrives" do, and what are "Third Party Drives" in a Hackintosh?

See Section 7.8 Quirks Properties, Item 19 :

Third party drives are those not supplied by Apple.

Last edited:
ThirdPartyDrives
Type: plist boolean
Failsafe: false
Requirement: 10.6 (not required for older)
Description: Apply vendor patches to IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext to enable native features for third-party drives, such as TRIM on SSDs or hibernation support on 10.15 and newer.
Note: This option may be avoided on user preference. NVMe SSDs are compatible without the change. For AHCI SSDs on modern macOS version there is a dedicated built-in utility called trimforce. Starting from 10.15 this utility creates EnableTRIM variable in APPLE_BOOT_VARIABLE_GUID namespace with 01 00 00 00 value.

"Supported by Apple" can only reasonably be interpreted as shipped by Apple in an Apple product. Everything else is third party

As to the point that NVMe drives "are compatible without change" this is cryptic. I interpret it as that it has been found that "native features" are enabled by default by macOS on NVMe. But do not assume this implies that they are supported or even compatible, because the entire usage scenario is outside the realm of meaning of supported. Just because Apple offered products with modular device connectors does not imply that add-on modules are supported, and compatibility is just a side effect of PC industry progress. Trim and power are subject to voodoo which we have no reason to expect to work properly, and you could wake up any day to find they are broken, maybe catastrophically for your data. As to wide reports that "things are working fine"... Buyer beware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back