Contribute
Register

[solved] Thinkpad X230 + Sierra, HD4000 graphics broken all of a sudden (flickering again),...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can put it back pretty easily.

But first I'm going to try FakeID:
https://clover-wiki.zetam.org/Configuration/Devices

Which seems to be equivalent to this patch:

into device label IMEI parent_label PCI0 remove_entry;
into device label PCI0 insert
begin
Device (IMEI)\n
{\n
Name (_ADR, 0x00160000)\n
Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)\n
{\n
If (LEqual (Arg2, Zero)) { Return (Buffer() { 0x03 } ) }\n
Return (Package()\n
{\n
"device-id", Buffer() { 0x3A, 0x1E, 0x00, 0x00 },\n
"name", "pci8086,1e3a",\n
})\n
}\n
}\n
end;

Because I'd rather not use dangerous hardware.

But first I'm going to try FakeID:
https://clover-wiki.zetam.org/Configuration/Devices

Which seems to be equivalent to this patch:

into device label IMEI parent_label PCI0 remove_entry;
into device label PCI0 insert
begin
Device (IMEI)\n
{\n
Name (_ADR, 0x00160000)\n
Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)\n
{\n
If (LEqual (Arg2, Zero)) { Return (Buffer() { 0x03 } ) }\n
Return (Package()\n
{\n
"device-id", Buffer() { 0x3A, 0x1E, 0x00, 0x00 },\n
"name", "pci8086,1e3a",\n
})\n
}\n
}\n
end;

Because I'd rather not use dangerous hardware.

That patch (and the FakeID setting) is for 6-series chipset with HD4000. It causes the IMEI driver from AppleIntelFramebufferCapri to load instead of the IMEI driver from AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.

Complete nonsense for the hardware in your profile. And of course, it will have no effect with your system anyway as your IMEI device is completely missing. In fact, it would have no effect even if your IMEI was present as its native ID is already 1e3a.

That patch (and the FakeID setting) is for 6-series chipset with HD4000. It causes the IMEI driver from AppleIntelFramebufferCapri to load instead of the IMEI driver from AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.

Complete nonsense for the hardware in your profile. And of course, it will have no effect with your system anyway as your IMEI device is completely missing. In fact, it would have no effect even if your IMEI was present as its native ID is already 1e3a.

That's a shame, especially given that at one time, the Intel HD4000 graphics were still working on my X230 hackintosh, even without the IMEI spy device being enabled (it wasn't until very recently that these graphics issues started happening).

Last edited:
That's a shame, especially given that at one time, the Intel HD4000 graphics were still working on my X230 hackintosh, even without the IMEI spy device being enabled (it wasn't until very recently that these graphics issues started happening).

Graphics without IMEI on OSX/macOS work, but only intermittently (some timing issue allows it to sneak through sometimes).
But even though there are patches to allow it to work, other problems remain.
Best just to enable IMEI.

Even certain features on Windows don't work without IMEI (high definition digital audio such as Dolby TrueHD, DTS-MasterAudio, etc).

Devices like these are only going to get more and more popular given today's world political climate:
https://minifree.org/product/libreboot-x220/

I don't buy into the IMEI "spy" theories. This hardware is used by millions upon millions of people... Intel/Microsoft/etc is not out to spy on their users. They just want to make money by selling useful products. And, unfortunately, those worried about piracy/DRM (Hollywood) affect product decisions.

But I got a good chuckle out of that libreboot site's claim of "quad-core Core i5-2410M CPU" (the i5-2510M is dual-core).

I don't buy into the IMEI "spy" theories. This hardware is used by millions upon millions of people... Intel/Microsoft/etc is not out to spy on their users. They just want to make money by selling useful products.

I should clarify that I consider having such hardware a liability (much like using an unpatched Linux install), rather than a direct line to someone at Microsoft who is actively listening in on me. Millions of people have unpatched OS installations, and are therefore vulnerable to some extent. Sometimes they are even targeted.

And, unfortunately, those worried about piracy/DRM (Hollywood) affect product decisions.

As you can imagine, I disagree with the wording here. There aren't legitimate reasons that software providers engage in these dark patterns. I'm not comfortable with browser extensions receiving my browsing history, for example. You have to draw the line somewhere.

Last edited:
I should clarify that I consider having such hardware a liability

To each, his own.
I guess you don't use the internet on your computer either, for fear that someone is spying on you due to the huge amount of closed-source code in both Windows and OS X/macOS. Oh...wait...!!

I guess you don't use the internet on your computer either, for fear that someone is spying on you due to the huge amount of closed-source code in both Windows and OS X/macOS. Oh...wait...!!

Oh, come on, I'm all for having a reasonable discussion about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back