Contribute
Register

Thermaltake Versa H17 Micro ATX High Quality Budget Case $35.85 Amazon or Newegg

Status
Not open for further replies.

trs96

Motherboard
Gigabyte B460M Aorus Pro
CPU
i5-10500
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
If you are building a new mATX Coffee Lake system and the cost of DDR4 ram and your Graphics Card is maxing out your build budget, you can save some money on your case to be able to afford more ram or a better gfx card. Most 25 dollar cases you can buy are extremely cramped with no cable management options. They may not have front USB 3 and possibly sharp edges that can easily cut you while building. The inside of those cases often isn't even painted. It's a dull gray color. None of those things are a problem here. The Versa H17 actually looks like 50 dollar case and won't make your build look like you went cheap. So check this out on Newegg and see what you think. I also like that there is no cheap acrylic side panel that is easily scratched and at best a dust magnet. This has dust filters, a PSU area shroud and even room for an AIO liquid cooler in the front. (up to 280 mm or 2-3 fans if you are going with air cooling) 10 dollar rebate is through 9/9/18.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133364&ignorebbr=1
Also sells for 36 USD on Amazon if you prefer to buy there.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0797GHT9F/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

From this pic below you can see there is no LED nonsense or bulging side panels. Just clean lines more akin to what you'll see in the Fractal Design cases. The steel is not as thick in the H17 as in FD cases but the advantage here is that the case is much lighter if you tend to move your case around more frequently. For 25 USD after rebate you can't go wrong with this case.

71KEKXSdsSL._SL1464_ (1).jpg

The following video shows the side panel windowed version but everything else in the case is mostly the same as in the H17 windowless model.

Screen Shot 7.jpg

Last edited:
UPDATE: Ordered this yesterday for the $34.99 price before rebate. Got it today from Newegg by 3 PM. Free shipping ! Since they are now charging shipping your cost will be $29.98 After Rebate. If you live in CA, IN, NJ or TN sales tax is added.

Screen Shot 9.jpg

I'll send in the 10 dollar rebate so the total cost for this will be $24.99. Seeing this in person for the first time I can say it is definitely worth at least 40 dollars, probably 50. A real pleasant surprise. The six standoffs I needed were pre-installed and fit the mobo perfectly. The screws were in separate bags and labeled. Fan was pre-installed in back. It doesn't move a lot of air but is silent. Front I/O is excellent. Sturdy ports and buttons. I wasn't really expecting anything this nice for this low price.

0907181758.jpg

The paint job, fit and finish is all excellent. Huge amount of room for cable mgt. that I didn't expect. So if you need a new mATX case don't hesitate to order one of these this weekend. It's certainly as good as the mATX 88R case by Corsair that retails for about $50 and also has a ten dollar rebate. If you do want a 5.25" drive bay in front and a side window, then go with the 88R by Corsair.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139068&cm_re=88r-_-11-139-068-_-Product

Great job Thermaltake ! This is the first case I've purchased from them and they've really got a nice budget case here. I'm not sure why they call it a "gaming" case because it doesn't fit that mold. You could use it for that but it will work much better for a Hackintosh system than a high powered gaming machine. Below are some pics of my actual build in this. Again, the fit and finish is way beyond any other 25 dollar case I've ever bought. Very happy with this.

DSCN0037.JPG DSCN0042.JPG

0919181149a.jpg a fans.jpg

a PSU.jpg

Click to enlarge photos

Last edited:
The price on these Versa H17 cases has stayed at about $35 + $3.99 shipping. So, if you need a budget mATX case these are still a very nice price for the level of build quality and room you get.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133364&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-tonymacx86%20LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=4902415&SID=

Amazon offers it at the same price but with free shipping.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0797GHT9F/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Here's what a reviewer on Amazon (A. Benallie) said about this case:

"Best budget case for under $40 USD. Other cases in this price range are not the gaming type. What I mean is that this budget case has a PSU shroud, holes on the motherboard tray to route cables cleanly and the back has lots of clearance for cables. Also other budget cases in this price range are really flimsy, mostly the side panels. This case has an ok side panel, not too flimsy so that was a plus. The front panel comes off completely with enough room for 2 120mm or 2 140mm fans."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back