Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
I7-9700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
After an attempt to update the OS, this is happening to me. I turn on the computer and it keeps restarting indefinitely. To simplify debugging I have disassembled all the accessories (SATA disks, Broadcom card, cooler, etc.). Only the ram and the graphics card remain mounted.

That is, I never get to see the BIOS on the screen.

Does anyone know this problem? Could it be that the logic board (Designare z390) or the graphics card has gone bad?

Video of restarting loop (youtube):

Last edited:
After exchanging some components (graphics card and ram) with another computer, the problem persists. So I rule out that it is an error in these components.

Regarding the motherboard, during the tests, it worked again once, displaying a message on the screen saying that the BIOS had been reset due to an incompatibility. Unfortunately I loaded a saved BIOS profile and the computer stopped working again. I haven't seen that message again. I have tried to physically reset the BIOS by joining the CLR_CMOS pins (Clear CMOS Jumper), but it still doesn't work.

My conclusion is that I have to buy another motherboard. Any recommendation?

Replacing your motherboard will not be easy, as most 300-series motherboards are either over priced or second hand. So before you opt for that route, try the following.

Try removing the CMOS battery, leave it out for at least a minute.

Screenshot 2023-11-22 at 23.55.38.png CMOS Battery info.

You should also check these LED's on the motherboard when you boot the system, as they might tell you what is wrong, or which main component is causing the issue (if any).
Screenshot 2023-11-22 at 23.40.12.png

Gigabyte motherboards have a Dual Bios, consisting of a Main Bios & Backup Bios. The Backup Bios should step in to control the system when the Main bios is borked. Removing the CMOS battery for any length of time may get this to occur.

Screenshot 2023-11-22 at 23.36.55.pngMain Bios & Backup Bios highlighted
  1. The alternative is to download and copy the latest Bios/Firmware for your motherboard (Bios F9) to a spare USB pen drive.
  2. The USB pen drive needs to be formatted FAT32 and MBR, but doesn't need to be any particular size, as the Bios file is small (less than 7MB).
  3. With the system turned off, insert the USB pen drive containing the latest Bios.
  4. Start the system and keep pressing the Delete key.
  5. With the Bios in the USB pen drive there is a chance you can get in to the bios settings to update/overwrite the current bios.
I would be a bit more exhaustive with my testing before I decided to replace the motherboard. Even though that may be what is required in the end.

Your 9th Gen CPU won't work in a 400-series or newermotherboard. So you may end up having to buy a motherboard and CPU.

Some newer motherboards also use DDR4 RAM, so you may be able to reuse the Memory modules, assuming they are not the cause of the issue. Same goes for any drives and your RX 580 dGPU.

You are likely to lose the Thunderbolt device, as your motherboard has it built-in. Most newer boards don't, so if this is essential to your work process you may need to buy a Titan Ridge TB add-on card, to go with the motherboard and CPU.

A new 'old' stock Z390 motherboard would probably be your best option, but expect to pay more for an old 300-series motherboard than you would for a low-mid level 600 or 700-series motherboard, due to the lack of availability of these older motherboards.

Replacing your motherboard will not be easy, as most 300-series motherboards are either over priced or second hand. So before you opt for that route, try the following.

Try removing the CMOS battery, leave it out for at least a minute.

View attachment 574749 CMOS Battery info.

You should also check these LED's on the motherboard when you boot the system, as they might tell you what is wrong, or which main component is causing the issue (if any).
View attachment 574747

Gigabyte motherboards have a Dual Bios, consisting of a Main Bios & Backup Bios. The Backup Bios should step in to control the system when the Main bios is borked. Removing the CMOS battery for any length of time may get this to occur.

View attachment 574748Main Bios & Backup Bios highlighted
  1. The alternative is to download and copy the latest Bios/Firmware for your motherboard (Bios F9) to a spare USB pen drive.
  2. The USB pen drive needs to be formatted FAT32 and MBR, but doesn't need to be any particular size, as the Bios file is small (less than 7MB).
  3. With the system turned off, insert the USB pen drive containing the latest Bios.
  4. Start the system and keep pressing the Delete key.
  5. With the Bios in the USB pen drive there is a chance you can get in to the bios settings to update/overwrite the current bios.
I would be a bit more exhaustive with my testing before I decided to replace the motherboard. Even though that may be what is required in the end.

Your 9th Gen CPU won't work in a 400-series or newermotherboard. So you may end up having to buy a motherboard and CPU.

Some newer motherboards also use DDR4 RAM, so you may be able to reuse the Memory modules, assuming they are not the cause of the issue. Same goes for any drives and your RX 580 dGPU.

You are likely to lose the Thunderbolt device, as your motherboard has it built-in. Most newer boards don't, so if this is essential to your work process you may need to buy a Titan Ridge TB add-on card, to go with the motherboard and CPU.

A new 'old' stock Z390 motherboard would probably be your best option, but expect to pay more for an old 300-series motherboard than you would for a low-mid level 600 or 700-series motherboard, due to the lack of availability of these older motherboards.
Thank you very much for the detailed information. It has been decisive in solving the problem. I looked at the test LEDs, as you suggested, and the CPU LED remained on. The boot sequence stopped there. I went to see what was happening with the CPU and, well, this is hard to say, the specific power cable for the CPU was unplugged! I'm really ashamed.
:oops:

The motherboard works correctly. Thank you so much

LOL! Don't worry it happens.

A loose or disconnected cable can catch anyone out. As you don't expect that to happen when you are cleaning the inside of the case or changing another component.

Bet you won't forget to check all the cables are fully seated the next time you do anything in the case!

Back