Contribute
Register

The Apple AR/VR headset has been developed primarily for AAA gaming ?

trs96

Motherboard
Gigabyte B460M Aorus Pro
CPU
i5-10500
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hard to believe this is true. Apple must expect that these gamers will shell out over 3K to get a 3D VR gaming experience.
It's probably possible. Look at how many gamers spend this much on a higher end PC to game with AAA titles today. The gaming industry today is much more lucrative than even the film/movie industry is. Apple will always try to get in on a market that big.

Last edited:
1000_F_226845519_t4ca7OwmC7yktTcOxb6Qufyp56N5Gws0.jpg

BTTF II predicted this back in the 1980s.

Screen Shot 29.jpg

When you think about what the Vision Pro headset replaces, I don't think the price is too high.

Look at how many things your iPhone replaced. That's what made it so popular even to this day.

Vision Pro headset replaces your Smart TV and Stereo system. Actually a whole Home theater. It can even serve as your own personal planetarium !

Also your Mac, iPad, iPhone and Apple Watch and gaming PC. Unlike a Smart TV you make the screen as large or small as you want. Take it anywhere you want, as long as the battery is charged. Once Apple comes out with a smaller less expensive version, it will be a huge hit.

Screen Shot 30.jpg

Last edited:

Apple Vision: Believe the hype?

One key point of AppleSi is to support this new AR/spatial modality of Apple systems: a SoC is radically consolidated, streamlined, trustable (secure) and reliable, which is what's needed to support a stack to pull off the Apple Vision thing.

You will be unhappy about this direction only if you treat the system itself as the project, rather than the application of the system as the project. If you still don't know how much power you need to get your work done or what you're doing, you'll have upgrade fixation: you will defer config to a later date based on some growth uncertainty. To upgrade system pieces, you'll be tolerant of failures and errors that come with socketed modules. You'll see strong trust of the system application stack as an impediment to your growth. These flexibilities were typical of the PC market in 2006, where a PC integrator arranges rapidly evolving kit into applications for people who are still unsure what they are trying to accomplish.

Again, the iPhone shows the way: absolutely no one complaints about lack of physical storage or processor or display upgrades for phones. When you need such, you acquire another phone!

Apple has necessarily been up-leveling the building-blocks. They see that a system can be specced to a purpose before the time of sale and that the whole device is replaced to upgrade: this is the inherent nature of iPhone and Watch. Apple has moved to treat Macs the same way.

Customers who pine for old Mac Pro are nursing an archaic uncertainty about their configs, thinking that some future module is going to bring their system into proper alignment.

But when the application goal is to sustain a reliable overlay of direct first-person sensory experience, you need to have a firm understanding of the system requirements going in.

This point from the above article spells it out:

...speed is essential: Apple claims that the threshold for your brain to notice any sort of delay in what you see and what your body expects you to see (which is what causes known VR issues like motion sickness) is 12 milliseconds, and that the Vision visual pipeline displays what it sees to your eyes in 12 milliseconds or less. This is particularly remarkable given that the time for the image sensor to capture and process what it is seeing is along the lines of 7~8 milliseconds, which is to say that the Vision is taking that captured image, processing it, and displaying it in front of your eyes in around 4 milliseconds.

Such a real-time constraint requires a momentous step in PC device design. To pull it off, you've got to have a full understanding of every part of the systems suitability to task. The degrees of required integration are going preclude modularity of sub systems. Accessories are going to be streamlined.

The great thing about Apple's announcement is that they've decided that there's a radically new viable application.

If you think the future is going to be swizzling expansion cards like it's 1984...

IMG_5116.png

IMG_5115.jpeg

• • •

IMG_5117.jpeg

Don't think I'm a complete sucker for the hype.

Apple's promo concepts range from profoundly dumb to terrifying Orwellian nightmare:
IMG_5120.jpeg

I guess they'll be able to plaster an image of your face onto your steam for the others?

IMG_5123.jpeg

Little boxes of ticky-tacky, cubed!

IMG_5125.jpeg

"One of us, one of us"

IMG_5127.jpeg

"Gotta catapult the propaganda!"

IMG_5121.jpeg

Gahhh!

This 2 year old video discusses many of the "Apple Glass" AR leaks of John Prosser. He had expected this to be a better version of Google Glass. He was way off on a lot of things. Number one being the price. He suggested $499. Off by only $3,000 ! Watch starting at the 2:98 timestamp.

I do think he was correct in that Cook wanted the glasses to look like normal vision correcting glasses. They found that it really wasn't possible yet with today's technology. That's why we got mixed AR/VR goggles instead.

Ming Chi Kuo and others predicted the use of Lidar and that an iPhone would be needed for the Apple Glass to function. Completely wrong there.

Screen Shot 16.jpg

Hopefully Apple can make them smaller and reduce the price over time.

Last edited:
Hard to believe this is true. Apple must expect that these gamers will shell out over 3K to get a 3D VR gaming experience.
We found out last Monday that "Vision Pro" is for a lot more than gaming, and 500 dollars more expensive. If you recall the 2007 Macbook Air reveal, that cost close to $1700 and was woefully underpowered. The price did come down over time and today it's the biggest selling Mac laptop. The new 15" M2 model at $1299 will probably outsell the two 13" models Apple offers.

Post at "Nicholas Carr's Blog..."

Our fascination with gear masks our inability to understand or contend with the psychic effects of the media:

//
Vision Pro’s big reveal
At first glance, there doesn’t seem to be much to connect Meta’s $500 Quest 3 face strap-on for gamer-proles with Apple’s $3,500 Vision Pro face tiara for elite beings of a hypothetical nature, but the devices do share one important thing in common: redundancy. Both offer a set of features that lag far behind our already well-established psychic capabilities. They offer kludgy imitations of what our minds now do effortlessly.

Our reality has been augmented, virtual, and mixed for a long time, and we’re at home in it. Bulky headgear that projects images onto fields of vision feels like a leap backwards.

Jean Baudrillard [modern French media theorist and philosopher] explained it all thirty years ago in The Perfect Crime:

"The virtual camera is in our heads. No need of a medium to reflect our problems in real time: every existence is telepresent to itself. The TV and the media long since left their media space to invest “real” life from the inside, precisely as a virus does a normal cell. No need of the headset and the data suit: it is our will that ends up moving about the world as though inside a computer-generated image."
//

I think this is a beautiful observation, and it generalizes to the view that reality is inherently virtual.

Jobs didn't comprehend the full implications of his "bicycle for the mind" and succumbed to life before anyone could give him a boost: his teams largely copied others' inventions and developed them for profit under the crass assumption that a machine could amplify, or to add something fantastical to, human cognition, but he didn't have any strong ideas about what might be added. When the iPhone was released, he touted Disney, the NYT, Trump's head over the NBC Peacock, and — not ironically — a snip from the soundtrack of Talking Heads' Stop Making Sense.

As the Ridley Scott 1984 ad revealed, everyone was under the unconscious sway of television: to the frighteningly absurd degree that when their TV told them that an mental appliance would make "1984 not be like 1984" everyone just nodded and thought wow: "Wow... The TV just told me I'm thinking freely!"

Marshall McLuhan — the genius theorist of English literature and anti-whiz-kid who extrapolated the works James Joyce into media analysis for IBM and set the stage for an entire generation of media studies in the 21st century — observed that in the beginning of every new medium it just recapitulates a previous medium; that we "drive looking looking in the rearview mirror". And this this becomes a stunningly obvious fact when we examine Apples promo imagery for the Vision, which is nothing but floating virtual PC displays.

Whiz Kids (Ford)

(NOTE—Information architect of the US wars in SE Asia, Robert McNamara)

Carr's conclusion:

//The vision that Vision offers us seems more retrospective than prospective. It shows us a time when entering a virtual world required a gizmo. That’s the past, not the future.//

Last edited:
Zuckerberg says that the Vision Pro is validation for what Meta is doing. That it will help sell more Quest 3 headsets to many more consumers ??? He says Quest 3 will be the primary beneficiary of the release of Vision Pro. That Apple will sell many fewer headsets than Meta.

Screen Shot 2023-06-15 at 1.44.14 PM.png

If Mark was telling the truth here, saying what he really thought, he'd say, "The Vision Pro makes what we're selling now look like hot garbage and Apple is so far ahead already, we may never catch up." He's living in his own virtual reality I suppose.

Last edited:
I'd suggest not reading anything at all into Zuckerburg's comments. He's already had his chance to lead and blown it. His record proves he's not a trendsetter, he's a parasite. Note that Facebook merely acquired the hard work of Oculus and Carmack seeking to monetize it.

Carmack on Meta: “I have a voice at the highest levels here, so it feels like I should be able to move things, but I’m evidently not persuasive enough. A good fraction of the things I complain about eventually turn my way after a year or two passes and evidence piles up, but I have never been able to kill stupid things before they cause damage, or set a direction and have a team actually stick to it. I think my influence at the margins has been positive, but it has never been a prime mover.”

Lex Friedman... heavy sigh.

He's a less than a Charlie Rose of tech interviews: Utterly unable to create insights no matter how fascinating the guest or topic. His saving grace is the mystery as to why luminaries visit him to expound for hours.

Back