ATI HD 6870
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hello again,

The system can run for hours doing anything but one in a while I get a random application freeze it can be any app.

Firefox, system profiler, textedit, console etc,

once one app freezes everything starts failing, i can't close any app cause it freezes them neither starting other apps.

Only solution is to hard restart otherwise it just hangs saying some processes are still running/valid, also I can't kill them using activity monitor (before restarting).

Anyone can point me where I can start looking?

thank you for your time.

Edit: Used TOP to check the running processes when it happens,
i see many stuck processes, one was launchd.

I think I found the offending process, MDS
It seems to be spotlight hanging the hackintosh, I excluded all non hfs drives, but it still hangs.

You guys have any tips?

ty for your time

If you disable spotlight does it still happen? Do you get normal/fast HDD speeds? Give Xbench a whirl.

I've started experiencing the exact same thing recently. The only significant thing that I changed since before the problem started was switching to the new 10.3.1 kernel, though I can't be sure if that's really what's causing this or not.

I'm booting the 64-bit kernel, FYI.

nonagon said:
I've started experiencing the exact same thing recently. The only significant thing that I changed since before the problem started was switching to the new 10.3.1 kernel, though I can't be sure if that's really what's causing this or not.

You didn't need to upgrade to the 10.3.1 kernel, that kernel is for supporting CPUs that the 10.3.0 kernel doesn't.

nonagon said:

well, you could easily determine this by changing back to your previous kernel and see if you're still having the problem

gave xbench a try got a result of : 174.04

Disabled a bunch of options in spotlight mainly mail, had over 5k, maybe that was crashing it..

I'll keep stressing the system to find out more

ty :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back