Contribute
Register

Suddenly stopped booting from hdd. How should I repair bootloader?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-Z87X-OC LGA
CPU
Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core
Graphics
EVGA GeForce GTX 770 4GB
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Originally got my hackintosh working with Chimera in Mavericks, later updated to Yosemite. Not sure if it's a coincidence, but I moved my computer to a new office and now it won't boot from hdd - just shows blinking underscore with a dash. I had the bios set to Legacy Only, but I changed that to allow UEFI and I created a new UEFI Yosemite recovery disk and I can use that to boot into the hdd OS just fine. I used CloverConfigurator to mount the EFI drive, this is all that's there:

69145e6cd6.png

Not sure if that's normal or not for Chimera.

I'm backing stuff up now, but I'm curious how I should proceed to repair the boot functionality. I forget how the Chimera stuff worked (doesn't use EFI?) -- was over a year since I set it up. Might there be a way to repair Chimera? Should I just replace Chimera with Clover? Not sure what would be the best way to move forward. Thanks.

Originally got my hackintosh working with Chimera in Mavericks, later updated to Yosemite. Not sure if it's a coincidence, but I moved my computer to a new office and now it won't boot from hdd - just shows blinking underscore with a dash. I had the bios set to Legacy Only, but I changed that to allow UEFI and I created a new UEFI Yosemite recovery disk and I can use that to boot into the hdd OS just fine. I used CloverConfigurator to mount the EFI drive, this is all that's there:

69145e6cd6.png

Not sure if that's normal or not for Chimera.

I'm backing stuff up now, but I'm curious how I should proceed to repair the boot functionality. I forget how the Chimera stuff worked (doesn't use EFI?) -- was over a year since I set it up. Might there be a way to repair Chimera? Should I just replace Chimera with Clover? Not sure what would be the best way to move forward. Thanks.
If you originally installed Mavericks with Chimera and do not intend to upgrade to Yosemite or Sierra then just run MultiBeast again with only Chimera selected and reset the BIOS back to Legacy only. This should take care of the boot problem. Not sure why moving the box to another location would make a difference, but you might check the firmness of the cable connections at board and HDD just to make sure.

If you originally installed Mavericks with Chimera and do not intend to upgrade to Yosemite or Sierra then just run MultiBeast again with only Chimera selected and reset the BIOS back to Legacy only. This should take care of the boot problem. Not sure why moving the box to another location would make a difference, but you might check the firmness of the cable connections at board and HDD just to make sure.
Would reinstalling chimera with multibeast also work if I already upgraded to Yosemite a while ago?

Would reinstalling chimera with multibeast also work if I already upgraded to Yosemite a while ago?
If you were already using Chimera it should. If you go for El Capitan or Sierra you will have to use Clover as Chimera does not work for them.

If you were already using Chimera it should. If you go for El Capitan or Sierra you will have to use Clover as Chimera does not work for them.
Awesome, thanks! Will try that after this backup finishes.

Hmmm, no luck =/

Must be something else wrong with it. But again, I can boot into that drive using usb sticks. What else could be broken?

edit: think I got Clover working except for HDMI audio

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back