Graphics
GTX 970
Mac
  1. MacBook
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I've bought all components recommended in the Buyers guide.
Gigabyte H97M-D3H
i7 4790
GTX 970​

- Downloaded Yosemite 10.10.2 installation from App Store (on my MacBook)
- Created installation media with UniBeast
- The installer wouldn't boot, tried various flags, worked only with GraphicsEnabler=no nv_disable=1
- The GTX 970 is not supported OOB, hence the flags. So I run the installer with crappy graphics.
- In MultiBeast selected ALC892 kext for sound, and Apple 8192 or RTL81xx for Ethernet (can't remember)
- Installed the 2015-002 security update
- Downloaded and installed NVIDIA Web Driver (version for 10.10.2 with sec update 2015-002), after that it booted without flags with full graphics acceleration.
- Using Chameleon Wizard changed the Mac model to iMac 14,2 -> result, sound works after sleep
- Also the Maps app fully works (didn't work once, worked after restart)

Of course, the system just flies (on a 6 year old hard drive :thumbup:), wouldn't do this if didn't. I had Leopard and then Snow Leopard hackintosh since early 2009 (6 years ;)).

I had only one problem on this build. The system was freezing randomly (I read that some people had the same problem whit Yosemite). Tried various things. Even tried to install Clover, reinstall the system with Clover, but couldn't make it boot the system or the installer (even tried with Intel graphics), so I returned to Chameleon/Chimera. Also there were sound problems (going out of sync with video and crackling). I don't experience freezes any more, and have concluded that the problem was in the USB headphones I had plugged in, which had a part of isolation stripped form the cable :p. Well I had to replace them anyway.

So I guess that this can be classified as a fully successful installation.

Although there is a small glitch. The processor is shown as 4.0 GHz Intel Core i7. The 4790 is 3.6 GHz base with boost to 4.0 GHz. I don't know if that is significant. The Intel power gadget shows that the frequency is fluctuating as it should (going as low as 800 MHz when I'm doing nothing).

You're experiencing what's known as the "Haswell Freeze" syndrome. Confirm that your
  • Memory is on both the Gigabyte H97M's Memory Support List and your memory's manufacture's supported motherboards list (you didn't list your memory make/model #); and
  • Power Supply is Haswell "Ready" or "Certified."
If either the memory and/or the PSU is not certified to run Haswell 9-series chipset and processor, then replace it/them.

In order to install the Maxwell series of graphics cards (750s and 900s), you need to install Yosemite w/o the graphics card installed using the Intel Integrated Graphics (on-board) HD4600. See my Hector build 750 Ti installation for more information (see link in my signature block).

Memory is Kingston HyperX Savage 1600 MHz CL9 2x8GB. I don't have a clue about memory support lists you refer to. Kingston site says it's H97 compatible.

The power supply is Antec TP-550C, and it is hasswell ready.

Update about the system. I had one more freeze since the last post. A minute after booting the system, in the moment I clicked on the volume slider in the menubar while a YT video was playing. Since then I booted two times without freeze, second time with pluged in said head phones with damaged cable (to test my suspicion), and it worked 4 hours without freeze (I've put it to sleep over night). I'll see how the things go today (saturday, so I'll have a whole day to "stress test").

Can there be any consecuences for the system if it is installed using the nVidia graphics card with disabled accelleration?

Memory is Kingston HyperX Savage 1600 MHz CL9 2x8GB. I don't have a clue about memory support lists you refer to. Kingston site says it's H97 compatible.
Gigabyte H97M-D3H Memory Support List :rolleyes:

The power supply is Antec TP-550C, and it is hasswell ready.

Update about the system. I had one more freeze since the last post. A minute after booting the system, in the moment I clicked on the volume slider in the menubar while a YT video was playing. Since then I booted two times without freeze, second time with pluged in said head phones with damaged cable (to test my suspicion), and it worked 4 hours without freeze (I've put it to sleep over night). I'll see how the things go today (saturday, so I'll have a whole day to "stress test").

Can there be any consecuences for the system if it is installed using the nVidia graphics card with disabled accelleration?[/QUOTE]Another possible cause of your Freeze is if you're using the Generic USB 3.0 kext - remove it if you've installed it.

I recommend you post your question about the nVidia graphics card acceleration in the Graphics forum section > http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/

Well, the RAM modules are not on the support list. But I can say that the whole day "stress test" went fine, well I hope so. System is running close to 12 hours, I've plazed YT clips, watched a movie, browsed the web, downloaded stuff, worked on Java web app in an IDE (compiling, redeploying), I've put the system to sleep and woken it up 2 times just recently (sound is fine).

I'll see what happens in the comming days. Hopefully nothing. :crazy:

UPDATE 3

I found a topic here about Mavericks, where a guy laid out the memory timing settings to set as a possible solution to the problem. http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-help/121353-mavericks-hackintosh-freezes-2.html#post767793

I've set tRFC, tFAW and command rate to the recommended values, and also set the main timings to 10-10-10-30 following a recommendation I've found that the fourth number should be the sum of first three. The default timings were set to 11-11-11-27, which seemed a little too on the edge. I ran 6 consecutive memtests (almost whole day) and came up ok. As I understand increasing of the timings (and ration of the main timings) means giving more slack to the memory electronics. I'll report results.

Thank you for this. I just got mine up and running and it was so easy. I also installed 2015-003 without issue. Graphics are smooth as silk, no freezing yet. I have previously installed 10.10 on this motherboard with the HD4600, but for whatever reason kernel panics abounded with 10.10.2 trying to install without the 970 installed on the board.

GA- H97M-D3H
i5-4570
EVGA GTX 970 SC
16 GB Mushkin DDR3-1600
Intel 530 128 gb SSD
Behringer UCA202 USB audio interface

Glad it helped you. :thumbup:

But anyway here is UPDATE 4:

The system is working perfectly now, no freeze, which means my install is 100% working.

I updated the BIOS to version F5 (didn't realize there was an update available), and turned on the XMP (9-9-9-27). And I am running for a week and a half without hitch, the last 4 days whole day of running, sometimes with sleep over night, and one boot after hard reset (accidental button push, all apps restored and continued working normally). And just maybe it seems the system is running a little faster since BIOS update and lowering of the RAM timings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back