Gigabyte ATI Radeon 6850 HD
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hey folks,

After waiting and waiting, I finally decided to upgrade my 10.8.5 Mountain Lion system to Mavericks. See my Mountain Lion Guide here http://www.tonymacx86.com/user-buil...i7-3770k-16gb-ram-gigabyte-radeon-6850hd.html This upgrade was made very easy because of the excellent folks here in the forums.

Here is what I did (BTW, took about 45 minutes total)

1. Updated my Mavericks app (which I downloaded but never used) following this guide: http://www.tonymacx86.com/415-update-your-mavericks-app-10-9-2.html
2. Downloaded Unibeast and Multibeast from Tonymacx86.com
3. Ran Unibeast and created a bootable drive by following this guide: http://www.tonymacx86.com/374-unibeast-install-os-x-mavericks-any-supported-intel-based-pc.html
4. Using the above guide, I simply booted to the installer and performed an upgrade rather than a new install. One tip for you all... Use the regular USB ports on the back of the motherboard since neither the USB 3.0 ports or ports in the front of your case will work.
5. After about 30 minutes of loading, rebooted with Unibeast drive, and loaded my new Mavericks install.
6. After my Mavericks system loaded, I ran MultiBeast 6.2.1 as DSDT Free and loaded drivers for:

• Network
  • Sound
  • Trim Enabler

7. I thought I would try the MacPro 6,1 System Definition to see if my system would work (it does nicely).
8. Rebooted and everything appeared to work great. (nothing ever does with your first try :))

Since I did an upgrade rather than new install, I am very comfortable going forward doing this. There is not much of a hassle restoring old settings, but if you don't have to, it is that much better. My system acted like my MacBook Pro, just like it was normal to do this upgrade.

One thing I noticed right away is that my auto sleep settings work perfectly!!! :headbang: With Mountain Lion, I could only use the manual method to put my system to sleep. I love this. But, with this, I also ran into my first problem, one that many appear to be having, no sound when coming out of sleep. After reviewing many forums, one thing that stood out is to use the Multibeast 6.1 audio settings. I did this, and my sound has been solid coming out of sleep. I am now into my 3rd day, and have no issues with sleep.

My next minor problem is that my Atheros network does not appear to work. But, never fear, I have a second Intel network port on my system, so ran MultiBeast 6.1 for the intel network, and it works like a champ.

Another nice thing is that in order to get my HD6850 to work with HDMI in Mountain Lion, I had to set my Chameleon Wizard to 'Ati Ports=4 and Ati Config=Bulrushes'. Now, with Mavericks, no longer necessary to set this and works out of the box. My next big goal is to get a second monitor so will need help with this when this occurs (hopefully in a month or two).

I have not been able to test my USB 3.0 yet, but will, though I am confident it works.

Everything seems to work as I expect. I have not played around with my Atheros much since the Intel port works, but will probably work on it this weekend during my holiday.

I have tested my system with Unigine Heaven:
Unigine Heaven.png

Pretty much the same as I got with Mountain Lion, so am pleased here...

I also ran Blackmagic for my SSD speeds:
Black Magic.jpg

Pretty much the same as well.

I also dual boot my system into Windows 7, so I ran the Windows Experience Index.

Windows Experience Index.png

Overall, very pleased with the upgrade. Many thanks for all for your continued efforts to make this process as simple as it is. Thanks again and enjoy!!!

In Step 7, how did you try the MacPro 6,1 System Definition? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back