Register

Success: HP Elitebook 840 G6 (i5-8365U) MacOS Sonoma 14.0 on OpenCore 0.9.8

Motherboard
HP Elitebook 840 G6
CPU
i5-8365U
Graphics
HD 620
This post gets edited and updated as necessary, so info doesn't get lost in a long thread if it becomes one. This is my daily driver laptop, upgraded from an existing Ventura 13.6 install.

-----

Two major quirks are audio (HDMI audio output and auto-switching between speaker/headphones) and HDMI video output. Daily driver config is docked to the Ultraslim 2013 docking station with FHD DP output and occasionally with the Thunderbolt G4 hub.

HP Elitebook 840 G6 as a MacbookPro16,3
Opencore 0.9.8
Latest BIOS
16GB RAM
1TB NVMe HD
Intel AX200 WiFi/BT module
HP Ultraslim 2013 Docking Station (use Windows to update FW to v.2.33.004)
HP Thunderbolt Hub G4 HSN-IX01 (use Windows to update to latest firmware as of Sept 2023)

What works:
* Sleep and wake*
* FHD internal LCD display on Intel UHD 620
* Bluetooth
* WiFi (use itlwm with Heliport)
* On-board audio (cannot hotswap headphones and speakers but selectable in System Preferences)
* On-board 1G Ethernet
* On-board USB 2.0 and 3.0
* On-board USB Type-C Thunderbolt (Hackintool reports 10Gbps)
* On-board webcam (identifies as HP HD Camera)
* Thunderbolt hub DisplayPort (1080@60, I don't have anything 4k), USB 2.0, 3.0 and Type-C, Gig-E (unsure about TB display output).
* Thunderbolt hub top power button (hold down 2 sec, will ask if you want to sleep, restart or shutdown)
* Trackpad with buttons
* Trackpoint pointer mouse
* Ultraslim dock hot plugging
* Ultraslim dock Ethernet
* Ultraslim dock USB 2.0 and 3.0

Quirky:
* Sometimes (1 in 10+?) times seems to freeze while sleeping and won't wake. Needs full power off/on to reset.

What doesn't:
* laptop HDMI output
* built-in mic (USB audio interfaces work fine: tested Shure X2u, MOTU M4)
* Ultraslim dock audio (in and out) (not working as of OC 0.9.0, not sure why)
* Thunderbolt hub DisplayPort audio (my Dell screen complains about not being PCM audio.)
* Airdrop

To do:
* Narrow down RTC write issues. (currently at excluding 35-38)

Kexts used:
AppleALC 1.8.9
BrcmPatchRAM3 2.6.8
BrightnessKeys 1.0.3
EC Enabler 1.0.4
EnergyDriver (for Intel Power Gadget)
IntelBluetoothFirmware 2.3.0
IntelBTPatcher 2.3.0
IntelMausiEthernet 1.0.7
Lilu 1.6.7
NVMeFix 1.1.1
NoTouchID 1.0.3
RTCMemoryFixup 1.0.7
VirtualSMC 1.3.2
VoodooI2C 2.8
VoodooInput 1.1.4
VoodooPS2Controller 2.3.5
WhateverGreen 1.6.6
itlwm 2.2.0

USB map:
HS01 Right A 2.0
HS02 Left A 2.0
HS04 Ultraslim Dock A 2.0
HS05 Right C 2.0
HS08 Trackpad or keyboard
HS09 Webcam
HS10 Intel AX200 Bluetooth
SS01 Right A 3.0 (13)
SS02 Left A 3.0 (14)

AppleUSBXHCITR 18 Thunderbolt Hub 2.0
AppleUSBXHCITR 20 Thunderbolt Hub 3.0
AppleUSBXHCITR 21 Thunderbolt Hub Rear C (Non-DP)

Not tested:
* HP Ultraslim Docking Station B9C87AA v2.00 (I no longer use it)

-----

Windows 11 Boot Camp partition runs under VMWare Fusion albeit quite slow for some reason, and you won't be able to login using a PIN, so boot into Windows natively and disable the PIN login and rely on a /gasp/ password or something.

Last edited:
Fine work. Does Airdrop work (update your first post)? Did you use OLCP or is your SIP in tact?

Fine work. Does Airdrop work (update your first post)? Did you use OLCP or is your SIP in tact?
Sorry I don't have an iPhone to test Airdrop, Handoff, etc. with.

I did not use OCLP. SIP is fully disabled.
% csrutil status
System Integrity Protection status: unknown (Custom Configuration).

Configuration:
Apple Internal: disabled
Kext Signing: disabled
Filesystem Protections: disabled
Debugging Restrictions: disabled
DTrace Restrictions: disabled
NVRAM Protections: disabled
BaseSystem Verification: disabled

This is an unsupported configuration, likely to break in the future and leave your machine in an unknown state.

How is your experience with the touchpad use? I'm having issue with the sensitivity/range. The generic driver from VoodooPS2 is working but not optimized. My biggest complain is the range of the movement - I had to give 2-3 swipes to move the cursor across the screen.

I got Sonoma installed on my 840 G6 as well

I’m having issues with Opencore legacy Patcher saying that it’s installed on the boot drive but I can’t boot directly into osx from the boot drive.

Do I need to put my OC and BOOT folders with the config file into the efi folder with kexts, drivers etc?

I installed OCLP into osx and opened it, made changes to the config and reapplied the patches but it still won’t let me boot directly from the osx drive.

I also would like to know how to install kexts using Hackintool if I mess up the wifi drivers and need to install the kexts from the local drive.

I don’t want to have to reinstall the OS just to fix a lack of wifi drivers but can’t see how to install them.

I’ve searched and searched but I can’t figure out the above issues.

I am using an 840 G6 and osx is installed on an external nvme SSD via USB adapter.

I don’t think that my explanation is well worked but I’ll watch this thread and post images and a better explanation this weekend.

Edit: I just went to the guide via the Sonoma Laptop support thread and found this which answers my question

Once the EFI has been mounted, delete the EFI folder within and then copy your EFI folder from your USB installer.

From there I’m sure I can just copy it over and it’ll all be sorted

Last edited:
I got Sonoma installed on my 840 G6 as well

I’m having issues with Opencore legacy Patcher saying that it’s installed on the boot drive but I can’t boot directly into osx from the boot drive.

Do I need to put my OC and BOOT folders with the config file into the efi folder with kexts, drivers etc?

I installed OCLP into osx and opened it, made changes to the config and reapplied the patches but it still won’t let me boot directly from the osx drive.

I also would like to know how to install kexts using Hackintool if I mess up the wifi drivers and need to install the kexts from the local drive.

I don’t want to have to reinstall the OS just to fix a lack of wifi drivers but can’t see how to install them.

I’ve searched and searched but I can’t figure out the above issues.

I am using an 840 G6 and osx is installed on an external nvme SSD via USB adapter.

I don’t think that my explanation is well worked but I’ll watch this thread and post images and a better explanation this weekend.
copy your EFI folder from your USB EFI partition to your hard drive EFI partition

copy kexts to kexts folder and add the entries to your config.plist

Will do.

I’ll post my config here as well after I’ve tested everything.

I’m pretty sure Bluetooth isn’t working on my machine at the moment.

Edit: ok I think I know where I’m also going wrong, I’m going to need to modify the Windows EFI partition to BOOT to the Hackintosh install.

It matches what I read that osx doesn’t mount the EFI partition when BOOTing so you need to use windows or Clover to initiate the EFI.

I don’t want to use Clover as it’s not required and I can just use the Windows EFI.

Last edited:
How is your experience with the touchpad use? I'm having issue with the sensitivity/range. The generic driver from VoodooPS2 is working but not optimized. My biggest complain is the range of the movement - I had to give 2-3 swipes to move the cursor across the screen.
Yes, I experience the same - it's fine in Windows. The laptop is docked on my desk 99% of the time so I simply use an external mouse and haven't looked into it much.

Back