Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte H97M-D3H, Core i5-4690 -- stable so far!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-H97M-D3H
CPU
i5-4690
Graphics
Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 560
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac mini
(earlier forum threads dealing with this build:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...reen-freezing-vertical-bands-ga-h97m-d3h.html
http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...g-after-sleep-ga-h97m-d3h-i5-4690-hd4600.html )

Successful Hackintosh Build — 2015/Sep/29

========== ========== ========= ========== ========== ==========
Executive summary

1) It works, and it has been stable for 2+ weeks of daily use at home
2) I would NOT recommend this for a beginner
3) I would NOT recommend this as your “only” computer
4) Having a “real” mac nearby is a really good idea
5) This is the most important point: If I were to start over, I would ONLY build a hackintosh by using EXACTLY the same parts as someone has published in a DETAILED build guide.

6) Yes I am still happy with the system (so far). The cost was about CDN$ 850 which is HALF of what a comparable new iMac would have cost me.

Build Summary:

(Note I started over several times, and had more than a few headaches along the way. This is just a summary of the final steps that work. Details of my travails will be noted at the end)

Hardware:

• Gigabyte H97M-D3H mATX LGA1150 H97 motherboard (Revision 1.1 Motherboard, version F5 Bios)
  • Intel Core i5 I5-4690 Haswell 3.5Ghz CPU
  • G.Skill F3*12800CL10D*16GBXL Ripjaws X 16GB kit
  • Corsair CS450M Modular 80 Plus 450W Power Supply
  • Samsung 850 EVO MZ*75E250B/AM 250GB 2.5in SATA III Internal SSD
  • generic ATX case
  • Western Digital WD5000AAKX - 500GB, 16MB CACHE SATA DRIVE

References:
- http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...-x-yosemite-any-supported-intel-based-pc.html
- http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...i-using-hd4600-chimera-multibeast-method.html ==> Different MBD, but similar.
- http://www.tonymacx86.com/user-builds/135033-success-gigabyte-h97m-d3h-i7-4790-hd4600-2.html ==> about disabling turbo boost

CAUTION:

- I based my hardware decision mostly on the August version of the tonymacx86.com Buyers Guide; the CustoMac Budget ATX mostly
- As noted above I would not choose to buy this exact hardware again.
- I deviated in the choice of RAM from those noted, based on what was available locally. I did check the motherboard manufacturer’s website for their approved list of RAM.
- I would not use the Tonymac buyers guide for this. Instead, find a detailed SUCCESSFUL build from either the ******/r/hackintosh forum or from the tonymacx86 forum and copy their hardware list.

INSTALLATION:
- download Yosemite as per the tonymac guide
- Note that it automatically launches an installer; quit that.
- Make the Bootable USB drive, using UniBeast 5.2.0
- Copy Multibeast to the USB drive

- Build PC. Did NOT hook up the DVD-ROM or HDD at this point.
ONLY have the SSD hooked up.

- turn on PC and hit F2 to get into the BIOS:
- Save+Exit -> Load Optimized Defaults
- BIOS Features -> VT-d -> DISABLED
- BIOS Features -> Boot Mode Selection -> LEGACY ONLY
- Peripherals -> Initial Display Output -> IGFX
- Peripherals -> Intel Process Graphics -> Enabled (ALREADY SET THIS WAY)
- Peripherals -> XHCI Mode -> AUTO
- Peripherals -> EHCI hand-off -> ENABLED
- Peripherals -> Sata Configuration -> SATA Mode Selection -> AHCI (ALREADY SET)
- MIT -> Advanced Memory Settings -> XMP -> Profile1
- MIT -> Advance Memory Settings -> Memory Enhancement Setting -> “ENHANCED STABILITY”

YES, THIS IS A LOT OF BIOS SETTINGS.
NO, I DO NOT KNOW IF ALL OF THEM ARE ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY.

I stopped trying different things once it was working.
Not entirely happy about the memory settings, as I wonder if it is slowing my machine down, but it was necessary to make it stable.

INSTALLATION CONTINUED…

- Plug in the boot USB and boot the machine, again referring to the tony mac unibeast/yosemite guide
- at the splash screen start typing and add “-v -x” boot flags
- OS-X install starts
- use disk utility to reformat/repartition the SSD drive
- After the install it reboots
- select Yosemite (the internal disk where you installed OS-X) but DO NOT HIT RETURN — type “-v -x” to set boot flags and then hit return

- MULTIBEAST settings:
- Quick Start -> DSDT Free
- Drivers -> Audio -> Realtek ALC892
- Drivers -> Disk -> Trim Enabler -> 10.10.3 Trim Patch
- Drivers -> Disk -> Intel Generic AHCI SATA
- Drivers -> Network -> RealtekRTL8111 v1.2.3
- Drivers -> Misc -> EvOreboot
- Drivers -> Misc -> USB 3.0 Universal
- Drivers -> Misc -> Fake SMC HW Monitor Application
- Drivers -> Misc -> Fake SMC Plugins v6.16.1372
- Customize -> Boot Options -> UNCHECK Generate SPU States
- Customice -> System Definitions -> iMac -> iMac 14,2​

- Now Build
- Select Save, Save to Documents, Also save to the USB drive, for insurance
- Install

INSTALLATION CONTINUED - TESTING:
- boot + login

- system preferences -> Network -> verify it picked up DHCP
- system preferences -> Mouse -> UNCHECK scroll direction: natural (stupid)
- system preferences -> Sound -> Set to use “internal speakers” (weird, but it works)
- system preferences -> Energy Saver -> UNCHECK Wake for Ethernet network access

IMPORTANT:
- system preferences -> Energy Saver -> Computer sleep: NEVER

From my readings it seems like a lot of Hackintosh systems have the problem of wake-from-sleep, and my system is no different. Setting it to never sleep is an easy fix for me. I have always run my computer like this anyway, as I like to be able to SSH in remotely.

STABILITY ACHIEVED:

After it was running for a day, I turned it off and hooked up the HD and the DVD-ROM and that worked just fine.

I did this build at work, where I had easy access to lots of bandwidth. Once the mac was stable for several days, I took it home, where it is now my personal “do everything” computer. It’s seen daily use for 2+ weeks now with no hiccups.

I did discover that Migration assistant would not run for me. It turned out to be a good thing, as my home directory on my old mac was too large to fit on the internal SSD of the new hackintosh. I used rsync to copy the files to the external HD, and made a symlink to that from /Users/ and it’s been fine.
All other stuff I’ve tried just works: configured a printer, shared it, enabled ssh, enabled time machine on an external USB, installed some software, lots of usage of Chrome and iMovie.

NOW FOR THE UGLY DETAILS AND RELATED PROBLEMS….

- first time I did the install I had no network. Took a while to figure out the right multibeast settings for that through online searching.
- One confusion is that during the install, the network works. So there are more network settings in the unibeast Boot-USB-stick.
- Very quickly experienced it freezing after going to sleep - would have to hit the system hardware reset button.
- Tried a few options (the uncheck generate CPU states option, for instance)
That worked for a while
- Experiences irregular screen issues — lots of breaking up and vertical lines.
- Over and over - very frustrating.
- After a while gave up and tried a Clover install — nope, the screen went nuts only 1/3 of the way through the OS X boot. This might not have been a clover problem, read on.
- Went back to Uni/Multi-beast.
- I was using a DVI cable - tried plugging in an HDMI cable, and it locked the system.
Had to hit the reset button.
- later on, won’t wake again, get BIOS failure errors.
- after about 2-3 days of increasing instability the machine totally shut down - would not wake at all. Could not even get the Bios splash screen. Multiple resets. Tried different PSU, RAM, nothing.

BAD MOTHERBOARD
- sent it back for replacement under warrant.

SIDE NOTE:

- I mentioned before that I was doing this at work to take advantage of lots of bandwidth. (Yes, my boss was aware of this.)

- While I was waiting for the MDB replacement I happened to notice that some of our lab machines here had the exact same motherboard as I did. I pulled out one of the spare machines and plugged in my SSD. I booted into the bios and ONLY changed the “VT-d” setting — nothing else.
- it booted right up. And it was fine for a day. Left it the weekend and it was still fine.
- Note that this system was a version 1.0 Motherboard, with version F2 of the BIOS.
- It also had a different brand of RAM (only 8MB), and it had an i7 CPU — I forget the model, I think it was a 3.2 GHz or thereabouts.
- This system was amazingly stable.

REPLACEMENT MBD

- my MBD arrived and I put my PC back together
- booted into the BIOS and and the “VT-d” change
- Bad screen almost immediately.
- rebooted and Put in a lot more of the BIOS changes
- still had no-wake-from-sleep issues
- still would occasionally lock

Here was the kicker:
- reset this new board to :
- MIT -> Advanced Memory Settings -> XMP -> Auto
(note that this now shows my “system memory multiplier at 13.33 and memory frequency at 1333MHz — on the other board the ram shows as 16.00 and 1600MHz. However on the MIT Current Status page it shows my memory as 1600MHz. I don’t get that.)

After this I went to the “extra stability” settings:
MIT -> Advanced Memory Settings -> XMP -> Profile1
MIT -> Advance Memory Settings -> Memory Enhancement Setting -> “ENHANCED STABILITY”

- And the system was now stable.

UNRESOLVED QUESTIONS:
- is the G.SKILL ram the problem? (Sorry, I do not know the model of the RAM in my work PC. That PC has since been put back into service.)
- is the older F2 version of the BIOS better for a mackintosh?
- is it an issue with my Core i5 CPU versus the Core i7 CPU on the spare system?
- was it something else?

At this point, I did not care, as stability was achieved. Even if my RAM is a bit slow, this system is still MUCH faster than my mid-2009 iMac that it was replacing.
Net cost was around CDN$850 (I did not need to buy a case or the Western Digital
500GB HD) which is about HALF of what it would have cost me to buy a roughly comparable iMac from Apple.

Looks like you learned a lot in the process, congrats on the success.

One easy way to check out your hardware first, before installing OS X is to
install Windows 7 and then make sure all of the hardware is stable with
progams like Aida64 and Memtest. That way it's very easy to discern if
problems with your OS X install are either hardware or software and system
settings related. Then if you don't want Windows just clean install over it
with OS X.

We don't officially suggest that new users do that but it is a good habit to get into
whenever you've put together new hardware for a Customac build.

Actually I did boot and run Memtest at one point before rma'ing the motherboard.

nice thing about that, is you don't need an OS install, as you can boot it.

But it is true I never did try first installing Win7... That might be something to suggest
in the newbie guides.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back